Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Raleigh POV

MJ171717

Midshipman
Hi everyone,

I'm off to a potential officer's visit at HMS Raleigh in 10 days and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from the 3 days there?Also,maybe an idea of kit to take as I've not been sent what I'm expecting to turn up in.

Thanks,
MJ

MJ171717

Midshipman
Test?I was told a tour round the base and a chance to meet with an Officer from the branch you were applying for?

Sumo

War Hero
hope someone is left to pull future officer into shape, this one is lacking something?

MJ171717

Midshipman
Thanks for the sarcasm,much appreciated,despite the fact I've not been told a single thing about the visit other than travel arrangements will be made for me and that I'll get a chance to see and speak to an experienced Officer from the branch I am applying for...can hardly blame me for being surprised that a test has been mentioned as I thought my AFCO would have thought to have mentioned that as well.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the sarcasm,much appreciated,despite the fact I've not been told a single thing about the visit other than travel arrangements will be made for me and that I'll get a chance to see and speak to an experienced Officer from the branch I am applying for...can hardly blame me for being surprised that a test has been mentioned as I thought my AFCO would have thought to have mentioned that as well.

Engage brain and read Drakeys post again!

Sumo

War Hero
Initiative test. Phone your AFCO and ask them.
MJ are you taking the piss, what is implied by Drakey is think for yourself (use your own initiative) and call
Your AFCO. Ninja is there any hope, is this a tipicle new entrant? God help us.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Potential Officer Visits are arranged via the Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO) not your local Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO). As clearly suggested they are the people to talk to as no one has a clue which type of POV you are on and they all differ. You could just be accommodated at Raleigh and visiting a Ship at Devonport, for example.

You ACLO should brief you on the acquaint visit, kit to take, transport arrangements and give an overview of the acquaint.

It's aimed to give an insight into the branch you wish to join and will doubtless include a visit to items of interest at HMS Raleigh if that's where the POV is centred, such as the Submarine School, Fire School, Damage Repair Instruction Unit, Logistics School and possibly an introduction to the gym and swimming pool, not to mention the possibility of visiting the Harbour Training Ship, Jupiter Point and maybe a trip in a Pacific RIB or similar.

Short of a formal kitlist being issued, if you are going for three days, you will probably need washgear, towel, flipflops, swimwear, sportskit and trainers. You'll need about three civilian shirts, five changes of socks/underwear, a warm civilian coat.

You'll be expected to wear suit/shirt/ties/shoes for most of the time but stuff like overalls, boots, combats etc will be loaned if required (if you end up doing the assault course/high obstacle course, etc).

MJ171717

Midshipman
And I'm saying that I've already done that twice and had no answer,so that is why I decided to post on the forum?

MJ171717

Midshipman
Thank you Ninja,yes it's at HMS Raleigh but as previously stated I don't feel like my AFCO has given me enough information about the visit so therefore I posted on the forum to try and find out more.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you Ninja,yes it's at HMS Raleigh but as previously stated I don't feel like my AFCO has given me enough information about the visit so therefore I posted on the forum to try and find out more.
Appreciated. The POVs are arranged via the ACLOs rather than the AFCO and some ACLOs cover several AFCOs, so may not always be available unfortunately. If you don't have your ACLOs mobile number, ask your AFCO for it so you can get a more detailed brief.

My advice above is just generic rather than specific.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 5
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
L Fitness for HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
S HMS Raleigh video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Hms Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 28
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
B Changing branch at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K HMS RALEIGH Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Is HMS Raleigh like the Channel 4 programme makes it out to be? Joining the Royal Navy 3
N HMS Raleigh... Joining the Royal Navy 17
Rum_pot Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
SafferBlondie HMS Raleigh - Phase 1 training - 10th November '19 Joining the Royal Navy 12
H HMS Raleigh medical notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rum_pot Shaving in HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R HMS Raleigh holiday dates Joining the Royal Navy 7
L Hms Raleigh 1970 Bases / Shore Est 5
U HMS Raleigh summer break Joining the Royal Navy 8
LeedsBornLeedsBred HMS Raleigh wait time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Exactly What uniform is given to you at hms Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C EHIC card out of date for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Hms raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 1
C HMS Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Banshee-RMforum HMS Raleigh 24th feb 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Just finished week 1 at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 8
D Hms raleigh haircut Joining the Royal Navy 5