HMS Raleigh Needles and Injections

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Bert424, Nov 6, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am joining HMS Raleigh at the end of this month and I have heard a few things that you have to get multiple injections and blood tests done? I was wondering is this true and if so what are all the different ones you get?
  2. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Paging Angry Doc!, Paging Angry Doc!

You'll love Angry Doc Bert, he's got a great bedside manner....

Angry Doc, Assuage this young man's concerns.....
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This is a recurrent item. You will undergo blood grouping and have a slack-handful of jabs and a compulsory drugs test at some point.
    Last time I think it was something like:
    Hepatitis A
    Yellow Fever
    Men C (in the last few years, age dependent)
    DTP lasts 10 years, Hep A 10 years, Typhoid 3 years, Yellow Fever 10 years, Men C is a one-off.
    If you cannot produce a vaccination/immunisation history you will be given boosters.
    Doubtless @angrydoc or @nemesis1066 will be able to update the specifics if they're about.
  4. The only one that you are allowed to refuse is the Meat injection
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. One you won't get is a cash injection!
  6. You gonna get an injection of semen Bert;)
  7. As ninja says, bring your certificates.

Luckily my mum is quite organised and kept all my old jab certificates. I rocked up to the med centre feeling smug as **** becuase I only needed one injection (yellow fever) and the blood test.

The northern peasants who's parents had binned their certificates and the older lads who'd lost their's, walked out like pin cushions.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ah the good old days, when you used to keep all your jab certificates inside your (blue) passport with a laccy band.......
  9. Trainer

Look shipmate - you're gonna get so much investment in your health that every time you sneeze, someone in Africa will get better from something. Just look the other way and don't tense your arms.

Try going to the Docs when you are outside to get a Hep jab so you can go to Turkey on holiday. Then will then empty out your wallet. So this is another thing you get from the Navy free - all part of the proposition.

You draw your Meat injection down at the Harbour Lights...
  10. Harbour Lights has shut down, he'll have to go to Wheelers!!
  11. Trainer

Is nothing ******* Sacred????
  12. When I joined we had the lot done from scratch. However, after my TABT jab brought on a reaction leading me to spend 24 hours unconscious in sickbay, my dear mom told me I was allergic to Tetanus. 'I thought you knew!'
    Told sickbay - their reply? 'Well its number 1 of 3 TABT jabs, we'll try number 2 and see what happens'.
    Another 24 hours asleep in sickbay, that's what happened!
    'Oh well, we won't bother with number 3.......'
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Couple of Ibuprofen and an ice pack will sort that out shipmate.
  14. This Northern peasant, just went to his GP and asked the receptionist for a copy of his Med history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Don't you mean tubigrip and paracetamol?! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk