Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Raleigh Kitlist - latest update.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
WreckerL said:
I remember now, I was the p1ssed one who fell asleep on the train and woke up 10 stations past where I wanted to get off and was arguing with the railway bloke that a pussers rail warrant let you go anywhere.

Did that on a rail replacement coach to Pompey once. Woke up in Southampton at 3 AM absolutely skint and with no way of getting back. Had to hitch hike in the end. Luckily I didn't get raped and murdered by the friendly Dutch lorry driver. :D

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
2_deck_dash said:
WreckerL said:
I remember now, I was the p1ssed one who fell asleep on the train and woke up 10 stations past where I wanted to get off and was arguing with the railway bloke that a pussers rail warrant let you go anywhere.

Did that on a rail replacement coach to Pompey once. Woke up in Southampton at 3 AM absolutely skint and with no way of getting back. Had to hitch hike in the end. Luckily I didn't get raped and murdered by the friendly Dutch lorry driver. :D

To be honest it's a rite of passage. I've woken up in Penzance before and had to get the 4 am milk train back to Guzz, funny thing there were a couple of blokes with short hair, jeans, trainers and pussers grips doing the same thing.

davemac32

Badgeman
every new recruit gets a plastic A4 folding board in phase 1 dont waste your time and money looking for one to take with you

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
2_deck_dash said:
Zoidberg said:
Just wanted to let people know that Argos currently have an 83 litre and 123 litre hodall for £9 and £13.29 respectively. The 123 litre is usually £19.99 but on sale. I bought the 123 litre one today and it easily holds the kit list. It's bloody massive.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2850928/Trail/searchtext>HOLDALL.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2863269/Trail/searchtext>PUMA+HOLDALL.htm

Just take all your stuff in a bin bag, as soon as you get to Raleigh, they will issue you a pusser's grip. Once you have one you will be able to spend the rest of your life on train station platforms, nodding knowingly at other people with the same bag.

It's like a secret club.

New pusser's grip

Old pusser's grip

The VERY old Pussers grip was made of light brown canvas type material, brilliant piece of kit, I left the mob in 1970 and still use mine from time to time. Jockmyhammocksslack will have a photo hopefully :wink:

Do they still issue this?

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/info_104.html

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Scouse_Scribes said:
janner said:

I still have the one issued to my Dad when he joined the mob in 1941, still keeps a nice edge, though somewhat curved from use, went with me everywhere when I was in the mob, though some people did look at me strangely as I was a scribes!!!

never issued one but managed to get a couple through stores. Stopped using it when Leatherman's came out, the tool that is, not the bloke

Scouse_Scribes

Lantern Swinger
WreckerL said:
Scouse_Scribes said:
janner said:

I still have the one issued to my Dad when he joined the mob in 1941, still keeps a nice edge, though somewhat curved from use, went with me everywhere when I was in the mob, though some people did look at me strangely as I was a scribes!!!

never issued one but managed to get a couple through stores. Stopped using it when Leatherman's came out, the tool that is, not the bloke

:lol: Yick, Yick, Fnaar, Fnaar

chatsharris

Lantern Swinger
My old man passed down his pussers suitcase to me for when I joined my first ship last year, fits in the suitcase lockers perfectly, while the pussers grips have a bit of hassle getting them in!

I read the full list at beginning of this thread,and couldn't believe my eyes !! Oh well, times change,I suppose ; O Tempora ! O Mores !
I don't know what Pusser means by "Deedpole" under the passport section,though ; I know that you can change your name by Deed POLL, but a Pole is a new one on me ! The curious coincidence is that Pusser got it wrong with the name of a bird,too --- They named a frigate or corvette HMS Redpole,and it SHOULD have been HMS Redpoll ! Or maybe the other way round ? But that's Pusser for you ---on my Service Certificate,under the notes & guidlines for understanding the Naval Character & Conduct section, it clearly states " Inferior ; A man who performs his duties in an efficient manner " !! (Really !)And all I got was "VG-Sat ".....
So go on, check your own certificates,won't you ??
As to the Kit List; I haven't laughed so much in years !! You'll be saying next that the messdecks are NOT old wooden huts,and the Swimming Test DOESN'T take place in an unheated,salt-water pool ,and butter is served EVERY DAY,and not just Sunday ?? Get away !!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Face Fuzz at HMS Raleigh RFA 2
B Speakers at Hms Raleigh Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
L Fitness for HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
S HMS Raleigh video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Hms Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 28
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
B Changing branch at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K HMS RALEIGH Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Is HMS Raleigh like the Channel 4 programme makes it out to be? Joining the Royal Navy 3
N HMS Raleigh... Joining the Royal Navy 17
Rum_pot Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
SafferBlondie HMS Raleigh - Phase 1 training - 10th November '19 Joining the Royal Navy 12
H HMS Raleigh medical notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rum_pot Shaving in HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R HMS Raleigh holiday dates Joining the Royal Navy 7
L Hms Raleigh 1970 Bases / Shore Est 5
U HMS Raleigh summer break Joining the Royal Navy 8
LeedsBornLeedsBred HMS Raleigh wait time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Exactly What uniform is given to you at hms Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C EHIC card out of date for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Hms raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 1
C HMS Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Banshee-RMforum HMS Raleigh 24th feb 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3