HMS Raleigh Kitlist - latest update.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jun 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Royal Navy website has an excellent up to date kit list for those about to join Raleigh.

There are several changes to recent posts on this topic, most notably the following regarding First Aid. All joiners are strongly recommeded to read the contents of kit required.

Recruits will be allowed to join Phase One training with a Personal First Aid Kit, The recommended contents are as follows:

a. Paracetamol tablets (One pack containing 16 tablets)
    b. Ibuprofen tablets (One pack containing 12 tablets or less)
    c. Medicated Throat Lozenges (One box, max 24 tablets)
    d. Medicated Foot Powder
    e. Antiseptic Cream
    f. Blister dressings (Second skin) products
    g. Plasters
    h. Cold Sore Cream / Ointment
    i. Hayfever Medication (must be declared to sickbay)
    All medication must be contained within the original packaging.

HMS Raleigh kit list in full
  2. Is this a money saving scheme? Surely Trainees could get all these items from sickbay, if required?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Doubtless money and H&S legislation were contributing factors.

The argument would probably be that sickbay facilities are not available during the field exercises and that for safety reasons you have the "option" of providing your own medication.

Whenever a change is instigated (Pay 2000, AFPS 05 pension, 18 year contracts, the requirement for passports before you join etc.,) it generally aims to be implemented at neutral cost or indeed as a saving.

Either way, it appears to be optional.
  4. Aftershave? That will be the classic Brut then? ;)

Seriously though, I really do think HMG should be providing all this as they used to. Youngsters from poorer homes are going to find it harder to buy the kit and since forces recruits in the ranks are predominantely from the working classes this seems inequitable. IMHO all recruits should begin on a equal footing in terms of the gear they have, as they used to and get a complimentary haircut when they join, courtesy of Pusser.
  5. Not this?

I see it lists Medicated Foot Powder as an option. Could you take Athletes Foot Cream instead?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Uh-oh, stand-by for the "What sticking plasters do I take" thread....and "do you need cold sore cream if you don't have them"
  7. Maybe this will be of assistance.
  8. My changed days, the only things pusser didn't supply other that civvies were soap, shampoo, tothbrush and tooth patse and shoe polish
  9. Agree with Maxi as well with regard to pusser supplying kit other than washing kit etc. All I can remember having to take was socks/pants, housewife and shoe cleaning kit and washing kit.

I find it unbelievable that new recruits are also told to bring an iron. Does Phase One NOT have them in the laundry blocks anymore?

Reading that list it also appears that they do not carry out their own cleaning of kit anymore, as they are expected to pay £22 end of week three for laundry.
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Dear Ninja what is the best product on the market to prevent piles? My best friend joined up and said she got piles from sitting on cold bollards.

11. In a similar vein: What if nozzer only gets hot sores?
  12. Tsk, they'll be 'suggesting' that each intake 'donate' a weeks wages towards building new ships next. Oooopppsss watch this space for updates.
  13. I'll pass that on to the PM tomorrow. Thanks. :thumright:
  14. NNNNOOOooooo!!!!! :thumright:
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not having **** sex - or so I'm told... :oops: :thumright:
  16. It's the vinegar strokes that does
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Especially if you pull out too quickly - it's like ripping a bed sheet, apparently... 8O :twisted:
  18. Instead of making a new thread about it i thought i'd post my stupid question in here, what sort of swimming trunks should i take? The kitlist doesn't really specify it just says 'Not shorts', and there is no way i'm breaking out the one deserves that.
  19. :w00t: I think you will find, that ovies will be your swimming costume when you join, and a black brick? :thumright:
  20. Scouse
    I reckon things have changed a little since our day. When I joined at Raleigh in 63 the whole class were lined up on the side of the pool bollock naked. We were then given a pair of soaking wet ovies to put on to do the swimming test in.
    Think their might be a few shy lady sailors if the same routine was carried out these days :w00t: