Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Raleigh in 19 Days

Walter_white

Badgeman
I am going to Raleigh in 19 Days and I have worked my ass of to get fit. I'm 16 years old and straight from school. Now is the time where the nerves are beginning to kick in but I'm also excited. I have read in many places on this forum that being 16 will put you at a huge disadvantage in the mob as the older lads will be going out on the lash and won't have as much in common. Raleigh aside, I want to put full effort into my next 2 years of AET training and to 100% knuckle down. Am I making the right choice by joining at 16? I have all my GCSEs (3Bs and 6 Cs to be exact) at a very mediocre level and really don't fancy furthering my education onto a-levels.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I am going to Raleigh in 19 Days and I have worked my ass of to get fit. I'm 16 years old and straight from school. Now is the time where the nerves are beginning to kick in but I'm also excited. I have read in many places on this forum that being 16 will put you at a huge disadvantage in the mob as the older lads will be going out on the lash and won't have as much in common. Raleigh aside, I want to put full effort into my next 2 years of AET training and to 100% knuckle down. Am I making the right choice by joining at 16? I have all my GCSEs (3Bs and 6 Cs to be exact) at a very mediocre level and really don't fancy furthering my education onto a-levels.
I joined at 16 and was out on the lash in Lee on Solent with 'the lads' after passing out of Raleigh then Pembroke and had my first proper draft, Daedalus.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

I joined at 16 in 1960, had Cinderella leave during training, I was the only Junior on my first ship, no one cared about my age I was treated the same as everyone else (it was too much hassle to single me out.) I was thrown out of the Breakwater Hotel on Portland whilst "celebrating" my 17th birthday, the Landlady bought me a short which I quickly downed, she then found out it was my 17th and not my 19th as she'd thought. I was such a big strapping lad in those days that she picked me up and threw me out. I was back in a couple of days later and nothing was said.
Your age won't affect much ( apart from leave times) but any bad attitude might.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was a few days into being 17. Apart from the Cinderella leave - no difference. Wasn't even asked my age in a bar until the night of my 18th! I had a 23 year ball - just go for it and grasp every opportunity offered or given to you. Or sit and whinge about everything. It will be what (in general) YOU make of it.

PS I was the Class Leader at 17 too!

Walter_white

Badgeman
I was a few days into being 17. Apart from the Cinderella leave - no difference. Wasn't even asked my age in a bar until the night of my 18th! I had a 23 year ball - just go for it and grasp every opportunity offered or given to you. Or sit and whinge about everything. It will be what (in general) YOU make of it.

PS I was the Class Leader at 17 too!
Does the Cinderella leave have a bad effect on your social life as the rest will be staying to get leathered whilst you're in a taxi home? :)

Stand_Still

Lantern Swinger
I was 15 1/2 when I joined, still didn't know very much about the real world when I joined my first ship at 17 but the majority of ABs and Killicks were happy to teach the ways of the world and the Andrew and if you take everything you're told with a pinch of salt you'll get by alright. First time I got asked my age was in Liverpool and I was 21!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Not at all.

It's only until you're 18. Shit happens I'm afraid. It'll only get worse if you go to the states and the drinking age is 21. And they ID you.

I have heard that the lads might just possibly get together and cobble together a number of very official looking IDs for the juniors that states your age as being 'over 21'...................

Walter_white

Badgeman
I have heard that the lads might just possibly get together and cobble together a number of very official looking IDs for the juniors that states your age as being 'over 21'...................
I'm not going to look 21 for a good 10 years yet. But fake ids do sound a good idea ;)

Walter_white

Badgeman
Not at all.

It's only until you're 18. Shit happens I'm afraid. It'll only get worse if you go to the states and the drinking age is 21. And they ID you.
That is all good then I suppose. I'm being an AET and I'm gonna really knuckle down so maybe it'll be a good thing?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
S HMS Raleigh open days? Bases / Shore Est 1
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
L Fitness for HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
S HMS Raleigh video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Hms Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 28
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
B Changing branch at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K HMS RALEIGH Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Is HMS Raleigh like the Channel 4 programme makes it out to be? Joining the Royal Navy 3
N HMS Raleigh... Joining the Royal Navy 17
Rum_pot Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
SafferBlondie HMS Raleigh - Phase 1 training - 10th November '19 Joining the Royal Navy 12
H HMS Raleigh medical notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rum_pot Shaving in HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R HMS Raleigh holiday dates Joining the Royal Navy 7
L Hms Raleigh 1970 Bases / Shore Est 5
U HMS Raleigh summer break Joining the Royal Navy 8
LeedsBornLeedsBred HMS Raleigh wait time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Exactly What uniform is given to you at hms Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C EHIC card out of date for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Hms raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 1
C HMS Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Banshee-RMforum HMS Raleigh 24th feb 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Just finished week 1 at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 8