HMS Raleigh, clothes and other questions.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Proud_2_B_RN, Jan 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a few daft questions for you lot now. Im off to Raleigh in a few weeks and I was wondering what sort of bag to take. Rucksack or holdall. I have packed my rucksack well and it all fits quite snugly but in the holdall it tends to slide about a bit as there is too much room. On all the training videos it shows the poor buggers with holdalls. Which is best?

How much clothing should we take and do you need to take socks, it doesnt say on the kit list.

Here is the strange one. What underwear should blokes take. It says no boxers because loose keks are bad for PT but what about tight fitting boxers or is it strictly Y-fronts.

Also what is the S3049. That one is mainly for ninja.

Thanks for reading this. I know I have set my self up for piss taking but im getting a bit nervous.

2. I sent my Baggage along before me accompanied by Henderson,My Man that does.I beleieve a good set of Campaign Luggage is obtainable from a good Gents Outfitters,as for socks,i prefer Silk ones.Undergarments,i fear its more natural to wear nothing to allow good circulation of fresh air around your Bollocks.Hope this is Instructional.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you can get yourself a "campaign" chair, they were all the rage in the victorian era and are thankfully making a comeback. They should fit snuggly on your baggage be it holdal or bergan and it'll save looking for somewhere to sit when you ponder your next problem.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Gosh, surely no-one will give a sarcastic reply?

OK snappy answers:

1. Rucksack/Haversack because it's easier to carry.

2. You need not much more than the clothes you travel down in and, civilian-wise, maybe 2 or 3 shirts & 2 or 3 trousers You get issued uniform socks, so 3 pair of civilian ones is adequate. Soon all your socks will be black anyway. Maybe take a couple of pairs of sports socks.

3. Snug-fitting/stretch boxers are fine. Loose fitting boxers may cause the your female classmates & PTI's to have an attack of the vapours & swoon if you have a hideous misfortune whilst wearing shorts. Dark colours recommended.

4 S3049 is your copy of the Attestation Form (the bit of paper which outlines your terms & conditions & which you "Sign-Up" on.) Your AFCO will normally give you a copy at the Pre-entry brief if they haven't already.

5. Everyone feels a bit nervous, so you're not alone. Good luck!

5. Proud2BRN

Enjoy your training and just remember, several Admirals started life as Ratings.

This size bag should be sufficient to hold all personal items and kit....just!

[​IMG]

One of these is essential... (the RN used to supply them with your kit) ;)

[​IMG]

One of these for your first run ashore... so everyone thinks your an old hand ;)

[​IMG]

And don't forget the matelot's staple emotional aid (very useful when homesickness sets in)...

[​IMG]

PS: This one is for Baby Stokers - complete with soft spanner! :)

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

shag the one with grey hair...thats got "abuse me" written all over it... :p

7. Welcome back Credders.
    NZB

8. Socks will be issued to you, but you may require a monosock for, errrm, 'personal & private use.' :thumright:

9. when u shag her from behind - simply pull her hair back -- thus removing wrinkles making her appear 20 years younger.

10. that is so funny thingy thanks for posting matey,and proud 2 b the good Captains never become Admirals

11. It's been quite a while since matelots only "wore" bare feet! :biggrin:

Wots a monosock....

Try here son! hehehehe! :lol:

Oh yes, and here too! [WARNING: ADULTS ONLY... NO LAWYERS] ;) :dwarf:

12. Hells teeth!

Pusser will soon be issuing you with as much kit as you ever lusted after.

Different styles to be worn at different times of the day, as well!

What more could a body desire?

13. Ye Gods!
    Just pack whatever is on the list, in Tesco bags if needs be, get on the train/plane and go for it.
    A few weeks at Torpoint as opposed to the rest of your life ain't worth the worry.
    No one is going to give a damn.
    It will be you that is important and then only to a degree.
    Your individuality, as you percieve it, will be of little influence.

14. Ask Credders. ;)

15. How individual do the blokes in my avatar look?
    One of them is muggins and guess what..
    I didn't give a damn, and can't remember what type of bag/kit I turned up with.

16. Thanks for the replies and advice. Loved the bag thing. Not too sure about the old bird, I like older women but not relics.
    I aint credders, I dont listen to the goth and emo shite music he does. =)