HMS Raleigh - BMI?

Hi all,

I start Raleigh on the 5th of November quick question ive been cycling about 9km every other day for a week , i'm 6'4 and normally weight 95.8kg but recently weighed myself and i weigh 98.7kg bit concerned as I know the BMI limit is 28 and this would make my BMI 26.3 at Raleigh if my BMI is higher because of muscle will i get pulled up on it?

Hi all,

I start Raleigh on the 5th of November quick question ive been cycling about 9km every other day for a week , i'm 6'4 and normally weight 95.8kg but recently weighed myself and i weigh 98.7kg bit concerned as I know the BMI limit is 28 and this would make my BMI 26.3 at Raleigh if my BMI is higher because of muscle will i get pulled up on it?
Cycling is not the way to prepare. Trainees run around HMS Raleigh. Despite the name there are no bikes.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
I still can't get the point of the original question.

You have a date which is only a few weeks away, you are within the defined parameters already, why would you ask about the hypothetical situation of putting on loads of extra weight?

Just don't put on weight, seems pretty simple. :)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It would seem that there is some compulsion to ask a question, any question for those applying to join, the internet is now here so it's easy to do, requires little effort or research on their part, just type a question then in some cases (not this OP) sit back expecting someone to spend considerable time typing a reply.

haha thanks for the responses im back down to my original weight, on the question about cycling , i try to balance it out because running ruins your joints

Running doesn't ruin your joints. This is the urban legend of running.

You'll end up with mega strong knees through endurance running AS LONG AS you strengthen your hips.

Get to the gym, do some hip abduction, work on your leg strength a bit and get running. Being a cyclist, your hips should be there anyway!

*DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING SILLY PEOPLE TELL YOU*

Boom, cheers Janner -

Straight from the horses mouth:
"Joints are, in fact, strengthened and modified by exercise. These adaptations explain the utility of physical activity in the treatment of arthritis, and the ability of joints to endure years of running without permanent damage. Ligaments and muscles, which support joints, are strengthened and reinforced by the stresses of athletic activity, improving joint mechanics. The flexibility of muscles, encouraged by exercise, can also aid the mechanical function of joints."

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It doesn't help me at all, my knee's still fucked. I blame cross country running, diving off the klaxon and falling over when in a confused state.

everything in moderation, unfortunately hind sight is a great thing, 30 years mainly as a prop Forward has screwed my knees and ankles. PTI's having you running up and down Dale with your Opo on your back did not help.
The big issue with regular runners is buying the wrong running kit, going cheep and going expensive posing kit will not help you, take professional advice on what will suit you.
@tommo may have some advice and be able to point out some older runners?

Try doing some physio style exercises for your knee - use stretch band and do some balancing stuff. One of your legs may be very slightly shorter than the other or you just don't have that strength yet. Everyone has a dominant leg and so the other takes a kicking. I'm right handed (legged) and my left is the dominant.

I was shite at running until a few months ago, exercised and practiced a lot and even did my first 10K in a decent time too