Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS Raleigh Advice and Tips

newbie97

Re: HMS Raleigh- Joining Tips

The following documents must be taken to HMS RALEIGH.

Document Check:
National Insurance Number - this should be obtained from your last employer (as for Tax Form P45) or, in the case of school leavers, from your last school or Youth Employment Office.
National Health Card - If not held by your parents, this should be obtained from your family doctor. If you are unable to obtain a card, please find out from your doctor or parents your National Health Service Number.
Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
Marriage Certificate/Deed Poll (if applicable).
Tax Form P45 and/or P60 (applicable only if you have been employed and have paid income tax) - this should be obtained from your last employer.
Your passport.

Obtain from your Doctor your Immunisation and Vaccination history. If you cannot produce your Immunisation history on entry it will be assumed that you require a full course of immunisations. Any recognised educational certificates you may have.
Your bank account details (if you do not have a bank account you are strongly advised to open one prior to joining. Your Naval salary can only be paid into a bank account).
Pre-Joining Fitness Programme. You are required to produce this guide at HMS RALEIGH.

KIT LIST FOR RECRUIT TRAINING
ITEM
Underwear 7 sets
Wet razor (not Electric) / shaving cream or foam, spare razor blades, moisturizer / shaving balm, soap and soap dish, toothbrush and toothpaste, hairbrush or comb, nailbrush and nail clippers or scissors.
Smart casual clothing: As required
Swimwear (Note: No bikinis or football shorts)
Training Shoes (not Trainer Boots) Tracksuit Slippers or Flip Flops (Accommodation and washing facilities are communal) 1 pair
Large Towels 3
Wooden/Plastic Hangers(6 coat and 2 trousers/skirts) 8
Letter writing material (plus stamps), Black Pens: 1 Ballpoint and 1 Black indelible marker pen 2
Soft yellow dusters (good quality – for polishing shoes) 2
Black Shoe Polish 1 large / 1 small tin
Steam iron (not travel iron) 1
Clothes brush 1
Shoe / boot brushes 1 set
Pressing cloth (non-fluffy tea towel or large, white handkerchief) 1
Sewing kit (including reels of button thread – 1 black, 1 dark green, 1 white, 1 light blue and 1 pair of scissors) 1
Spray bottle (household type, to aid ironing) 1
Padlocks and keys (medium sized – including spare keys – not combination’) 2
Spare pair of spectacles / contact lenses (strongly advised – see note 3) As required
Hand washing powder or liquid hand wash. 1
Spending money (see note 4) £50 (recommended)
1 x 1 Ltr Water Bottle 1
Wrist Watch 1

Notes:

1. You may be granted leave privileges during your initial training but free time is limited and you will be in uniform throughout the early part of training. In addition, locker space is at a premium; so do not overdo the amount of civilian clothes you bring.

2. If you wear contact lenses and also have spectacles bring them both along with your prescription. Tinted and photo-chromatic lenses may only be worn for medical reasons.

3. Your pay will be sent to a bank Current Account only and you are strongly advised to open such an account prior to joining. If you do not, there are limited bank facilities available to enable you to open a bank account. This may result in a delay in processing your first payment. You should arrive with a minimum of £50 cash to tide you over the first few weeks. You are advised that you will be required to pay a laundry charge in cash of £22 and £4 for a haircut if needed.

4. During your 9 week basic training you will be offered immunisation against; Meningitis C, Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio, BCG(Tuberculosis), Measles/Mumps/Rubella, Typhoid, Hepatitis A and hepatitis B (Healthcare workers only). If you have received these or any other vaccinations in the past 10 years please bring documentary evidence with you to HMS RALEIGH. Details of your vaccination history may be obtained from your general practitioner or from the Child Health Information Department. If you can not produce documentary evidence you will be offered re-vaccination in week 1 of your basic training.

GENERAL GUIDANCE
1. You will be required to pass the RN Swimming Test and the RN Fitness Test, which is to a higher standard than the Pre-Joining Fitness Test which you have already passed. A 2.4Km run will occur on Tuesday of Week 1 and is an assessed serial; therefore, you are strongly advised to continue to work on your level of fitness ability prior to joining HMS RALEIGH.
2. You are also strongly advised to learn basic hand washing and ironing skills before joining to enable you to maintain your uniform to a high standard.
3. No jewellery is to be visible with uniform other than signet or wedding rings for males; wedding, engagement, signet rings, and a plain gold sleeper or stud earrings for females. In addition, female trainees are to ensure that long hair is worn up using plain hairgrips/hairnets and, the use of make up is not allowed during Initial training. All body piercing is to be removed prior to joining.
4. Food and drink are not allowed in the accommodation areas, you should therefore only take enough for your journey. There is a shop and automat facility at HMS RALEIGH.
5. Mobile phones can be taken with you but they can only be used out of working hours. You are not permitted to use the camera facility on your mobile phone during Phase 1 Training. You are not to take any of the following items:
• Valuable items of jewellery.
• Excessive amounts of cash.
• Cars or motorcycles.
• Portable DVD Players/ Walkman/ MP3 stereos (headphones not allowed).
• Offensive weapons (including pocket knives).
• Alcohol.
• Non-prescribed medicines.
6. You will be informed on joining of your leave entitlement.
Are probiotics included in non prescribed medicines? I like to keep healthy and have a Cod liver oil each morning etc ? Many thanks

Jase2209

Midshipman
Hi,

I'm re-joining the Navy after 12 years on Civvi Street, I appreciate some things may have changed in the 19 years I was last at HMS Raleigh, I was just wondering if anyone knew (current or recent) what the cost is for food and accommodation @ Raleigh? I'm taking a slight pay cut (although going back in on OR2-5), so just trying to work out finances before i re-join on 4th January.

Many thanks,

J

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hi,

I'm re-joining the Navy after 12 years on Civvi Street, I appreciate some things may have changed in the 19 years I was last at HMS Raleigh, I was just wondering if anyone knew (current or recent) what the cost is for food and accommodation @ Raleigh? I'm taking a slight pay cut (although going back in on OR2-5), so just trying to work out finances before i re-join on 4th January.

Many thanks,

J
Are you totally retraining??
I heard it was just a 2 day thing, (kit, swim, run etc.). Then, off you pops to your old branch after ELWE??

Jase2209

Midshipman
Are you totally retraining??
I heard it was just a 2 day thing, (kit, swim, run etc.). Then, off you pops to your old branch after ELWE??
Yes mate, as I have been out longer than 10 years, I have complete full Phase 1 & 2 training, then straight into a sea-going ship to get my sea watch keeping duties done...

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Yes mate, as I have been out longer than 10 years, I have complete full Phase 1 & 2 training, then straight into a sea-going ship to get my sea watch keeping duties done...
Re-do the whole lot? Fair play.
What was your branch anyway??

Just being nosey now mate.

Jase2209

Midshipman
Re-do the whole lot? Fair play.
What was your branch anyway??

Just being nosey now mate.
Haha, that’s fine, ask away!!

I left as an MEM(1), just before starting killicks course, going back in as an ME, hoping to be drafted back to a Type23 in order to try and fast track myself as part of the deal if me going back in is to be a killick within 4 years, or at least on course by year 4....I still have my task books, so hopefully it’s not too different?!

fishhead

War Hero
I will stand being corrected but I have seen it written on this forum that food and accommodation is free of charge to personnel under training while at Raleigh.

Jase2209

Midshipman
I will stand being corrected but I have seen it written on this forum that food and accommodation is free of charge to personnel under training while at Raleigh.
I think this is why I was looking for definite clarification as I have seen that, but I have also seen other threads suggesting the cost is between £ 120 to £ 160 per month, if it’s free, then that’s a bonus, I don’t mind paying as I’ve paid for accommodation since I left, so it wouldn’t make much of a difference, it’s just handy to know what deductions (if any) there are whilst at Raleigh, I’m a saver and with going back in on my old wage, I should be able to put a hefty chunk of it away

fishhead

War Hero
I think this is why I was looking for definite clarification as I have seen that, but I have also seen other threads suggesting the cost is between £ 120 to £ 160 per month, if it’s free, then that’s a bonus, I don’t mind paying as I’ve paid for accommodation since I left, so it wouldn’t make much of a difference, it’s just handy to know what deductions (if any) there are whilst at Raleigh, I’m a saver and with going back in on my old wage, I should be able to put a hefty chunk of it away
@WreckerL or @Drakey ????

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Phase 1 food and accommodation is free but I don't know the daily rate thereafter. It also varies depending on the standard of the accommodation.

Jase2209

Midshipman
Phase 1 food and accommodation is free but I don't know the daily rate thereafter. It also varies depending on the standard of the accommodation.
Cheers Wrecker,
Nelson etc were just transitioning into PAYD shortly before I left, so I’m aware I’ll have to source my own food - and from what I remember, Sultan’s accommodation was pretty poor, so I think I remember accommodation being free back then (although times may have changed since then), and food was taken out of our wages.

Thank you all for your help, it’s greatly appreciated. Stay safe.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Cheers Wrecker,
Nelson etc were just transitioning into PAYD shortly before I left, so I’m aware I’ll have to source my own food - and from what I remember, Sultan’s accommodation was pretty poor, so I think I remember accommodation being free back then (although times may have changed since then), and food was taken out of our wages.

Thank you all for your help, it’s greatly appreciated. Stay safe.
How long was you in for mate??
Also, IMO the food went shit everywhere when they started bringing the civvy cooks in. (Never thought I’d say that, but I reckon it was same through all shore bases, as in shite).

Jase2209

Midshipman
How long was you in for mate??
Also, IMO the food went shit everywhere when they started bringing the civvy cooks in. (Never thought I’d say that, but I reckon it was same through all shore bases, as in shite).
Just short of 6 years, joined in May 2002, deployed to Op Telic on a Swedish Merchant Vessel as SPO for 9 months, then straight onto the Lancaster for 4 years and deployed for APT(S), left in February 2008. You know what, shore base food was 18 years ago, and I was 17, so any food was a blessing, food onboard wasn’t too bad, but the Filipino chefs on the Merchant Vessel cooked us whatever we wanted, so my expectation of food onboard went out of the window, until the day a new chef came onboard and cooked us Pizza, Mashed Potato and Brussel Sprouts (because apparently that’s all we had, lol), whilst on duty alongside....now I know why I ate at Lloyd’s Bar on commercial road every night, £6 beer and a burger and then onto walkabout for student night. Lol!

Drakey

War Hero
Food charges apply in phase 1 training. Same system prior to PAYD, deducted from your pay. Don't know the daily rate
Phase 2 is pay as you dine.

Jase2209

Midshipman
Food charges apply in phase 1 training. Same system prior to PAYD, deducted from your pay. Don't know the daily rate
Phase 2 is pay as you dine.
Hi Dramey,

So, as Wrecker states, accommodation is free but meals will come at a cost, regardless?

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Advice Re which branch to pick post HMS Raleigh.... Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 19
B Speakers at Hms Raleigh Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
M HMS Raleigh shutdown over Easter Joining the Royal Navy 4
soleil RN Website: HMS Raleigh's Physio's Fundraising Mission Bases / Shore Est 0
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh Page: "A Short Video Of The Cornwell27s At Pier Cellars This Week" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - 80th Anniversary Bases / Shore Est 2
D HMS Raleigh Payroll team Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
L Fitness for HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Preparing for HMS Raleigh at 16 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
MorganCUFC PRNC and HMS Raleigh dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
U HMS Raleigh for naval reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
S HMS Raleigh video Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Hms Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 28
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
B Changing branch at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K HMS RALEIGH Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Is HMS Raleigh like the Channel 4 programme makes it out to be? Joining the Royal Navy 3
N HMS Raleigh... Joining the Royal Navy 17
Rum_pot Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
SafferBlondie HMS Raleigh - Phase 1 training - 10th November '19 Joining the Royal Navy 12
H HMS Raleigh medical notes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rum_pot Shaving in HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R HMS Raleigh holiday dates Joining the Royal Navy 7
L Hms Raleigh 1970 Bases / Shore Est 5
U HMS Raleigh summer break Joining the Royal Navy 8
LeedsBornLeedsBred HMS Raleigh wait time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Exactly What uniform is given to you at hms Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
C EHIC card out of date for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Hms raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 1
C HMS Raleigh week 4 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Banshee-RMforum HMS Raleigh 24th feb 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3