HMS Queen Elizabeth's first Captain

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by tomcat24, Feb 27, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd work for him again in a heartbeat.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. He's been dragging his arse. I also joined up in 85 and got to 2 rates from the top, he's only made commodore! :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bet there was some Commodores sweating at the prospect of a sea draft.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Do we really need a broad pennant driving a Carrier? That said;

Surely he can't be Ship's CO and Force Commander? Thinks; why did Cdre Harwood need Capt Woodhouse in '39?
  5. The announcement is ambiguous. As I understand it, Cdre Kyd will take command of HMS Queen Elizabeth in the summer of 2015 on completion of his current appointment as Commander RFTG (aka COMUKTG - Commander UK Task Group) and will revert to Capt RN for the duration of his time on board.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I thought Commodore was a substantive rank now?
  7. Commodore is a substantive rank these days Danny, I can't see anyone reverting to Captain but who knows? Maybe it's a paperwork exercise or just the title that's changing (unless the Commodore is/was Acting Local of course ;) )
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Commercial outfits ( Cruise Companies mostly) have their Commodore in command at sea. The RFA Commodore used to sail in Command. No reason for the RN not to, especially if his command is the Flagship.

But please Sir, ditch the handkerchief in your reefer breast pocket.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The origins of this as I understand it lie in the 1990s Betts Report. Before this Commodore was a temporary appointment used to ensure that the officer so promoted was, in his actual appointment, senior to any other 4-ring captains who might happen by. The brown firm down the corridor however had Brig as a substantive rank and we didn't. Captains ranked as army colonels but the fix was that Captains of over 6(?) years seniority were paid as Brigs. Betts in levelling anomalies across the 2 services and the RAF (and getting rid of 5* which had become something of an anachronism, our cousins over the water appointed theirs and only very rarely by act of Congress, and making junior RM officer ranks same as Army instead of ranking one up) made Cdre a substantive promotion. However the really big Cds, typically 2nd drive if at sea, have always gone to senior Captains. Captains of BRNC, Collingwood etc thus became Cdres but were being paid like that anyway. For ships a nonsense arises if the 'captain' is a Cdre. So I imagine Cdre Kyd dresses as and is called Captain but is paid as Cdre, which he is. Someone who is more current than me (not difficult) might like to correct this.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There have been 1*s driving CVS' before now, SSBN for example, they retain the pay but adopt a temporary rank of Captain for the duration.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. As far as I know the head honcho on a ship is always called Captain, regardless of rank. So On a sweeper a two and half or two ringer would be Captain. Surely it works the other way too so a Commodore can be Captain but would actually be paid and uniformed as a Commodore.
  12. And he (CDRR KYD) is the most swept up CVS CO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. He'll wear 4 Stripes: Trevor Soar did so when he Commanded a Carrier and was a substantive Cdre.
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Most of the high profile drives are 1* drives - essentially you have them as the final sea job and ensure you put a very experienced operator somewhere where he can do a lot of good.
    For day to day purposes they revert back to OF5, but will then be appointed back onto the 1* plot on completion of their post.
  15. Erm, not really. Capt Kyd was a Capt RN after leaving LUST/ARKR, the last CO of BULW is still a Capt RN, the new CO of OCEA is a brand new Capt RN, and thus has another job to go.
  16. Lets hope he didn't chuck his old rig in the skip when he got rated up, he'll have to get a new jacket laced up otherwise :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. And he's got 4 kids, the bloke's skint.

But on the plus side, once he's done with the 4 Stripes, he can go straight to 2*.
  18. Not if he breaks it!

Skipper of Astute springs to mind.
  19. Well, yes. But there are some huge differences between those 2.