HMS Queen Elizabeth's arrival at Portsmouth

But WHEN in the Autumn?

Might be worth running a book? My bet would be around lunchtime on Friday 22nd Sept, after anchoring at Spithead the previous night.

Reasons in Reading?

Day & Timing: Excellent for the visual impact available to locals/visitors and the World's media. (The Druid contingent will also be able to view the spectacle, have a Friday night run ashore in Portsmouth with the QE crew before proceeding to cure their hangovers with dandelion & burdock at the Stonehenge Autumn Equinox the next day.)

Tides: A rising tide an hour or so before HW Portsmouth, with a decent range that day.

Weather: Risk of equinoctial gales? Bah - a popular misconception but this is the RN and a wee bit of weather would be good to keep the fresh team on their toes.

Watch this space.

Last edited:
But WHEN in the Autumn?

Might be worth running a book? My bet would be around lunchtime on Friday 22nd Sept, after anchoring at Spithead the previous night.

Reasons in Reading?

Day & Timing: Excellent for the visual impact available to locals/visitors and the World's media. (The Druid contingent will also be able to view the spectacle, have a Friday night run ashore in Portsmouth with the QE crew before proceeding to cure their hangovers with dandelion & burdock at the Stonehenge Autumn Equinox the next day.)

Tides: A rising tide an hour or so before HW Portsmouth, with a decent range that day.

Weather: Risk of equinoctial gales? Bah - a popular misconception but this is the RN and a wee bit of weather would be good to keep the fresh team on their toes.

Watch this space.
Spot on Bob , as usual ;)

MOD EDIT:

Shipmate.

You'll have been briefed extensively on not taking pictures on board and certainly not putting them on the public domain. We all have.

A 'Rum Ration' warning is sufficient in this case, but have a word with yourself eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
But WHEN in the Autumn?

Reasons in Reading?

Watch this space.
Plus: Embark Duke of Edinburgh in Spithead. He arrives in Portsmouth on QE as Lord High Admiral, standard flying as such. He bows out of public life on the most possible high?

Aye, the ship is leaping, dreading having to start cleaning it. Apparently we'll have 70 Civvie cleaners when we get alongside Pompey due to the amount of real estate and number of ships company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye, the ship is leaping, dreading having to start cleaning it. Apparently we'll have 70 Civvie cleaners when we get alongside Pompey due to the amount of real estate and number of ships company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
please do not tell me command will revert to type and make everyone scrub the ship with such a small crew for the real estate..?

I remember going to a brief about 18 months ago and this sort of question was asked...like rounds and daily routines, the CDRE stated that the RN had to take a leap into the future and rip up the rule book to create totally new ways of doing its daily business otherwise, they will lose people from these ships

please do not tell me command will revert to type and make everyone scrub the ship with such a small crew for the real estate..?

I remember going to a brief about 18 months ago and this sort of question was asked...like rounds and daily routines, the CDRE stated that the RN had to take a leap into the future and rip up the rule book to create totally new ways of doing its daily business otherwise, they will lose people from these ships
Indeed. But having been an XO, there has to be a process to ensure the ship is clean, and to allow JRs direct access to the XO/EWO (nearly) every day.

Whatever you want to call it, however it is dressed up, cleaning will need to be done.

Indeed. But having been an XO, there has to be a process to ensure the ship is clean, and to allow JRs direct access to the XO/EWO (nearly) every day.

Whatever you want to call it, however it is dressed up, cleaning will need to be done.
I don't think anyone believes otherwise but is rather a question of by whom and when.