HMS Queen Elizabeth on Forces TV

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Newbie14, Jun 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I'm sure most of you are aware, there is a new channel called Forces TV (really good!) and they had a short programme on there where their reporter was given a tour of the ship which has pretty much been externally built now and is now undergoing internal fitting-out etc in time for her naming ceremony in July. She looks absolutely huge! So big that there is a mobile device app which has been brought in to help the ship's company navigate around her. Look forward to serving on her one day :salute:
  2. Ffs a mobile app! What wrong with getting lost for the first few weeks?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. That's what I thought.. I know it's big but surely it'd be like learning a small town? You'll get there in the end. Still, gives you an idea of how huge she must be! Imagine running whole-ship exercises with 1600 on board! Brilliant..
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Are you referring to BFBS who are rather good and not new?

Mobile app. Really? An understanding of ship and compartment nomenclature, a bit of exploration allied to some situational and self awareness will make moving around the ship a breeze. That and legs of steel.
  5. "Sorry I'm late Chief, I couldn't get a signal"
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Seadog, no it's a new satellite channel which launched last month, Sky 299. Has a daily forces news programme which is great for us newbies swatting up on current affairs in the forces and loads of short programmes and reports on various operations etc.
  7. Seadog

Forces TV looks like BFBS content sold to a commercial outfit and repackaged for the general public and to make some money. If so, nothing wrong with that.
  8. I imagine the mobile App is as much for contractors as the crew. The man hours lost compared to a bit of programming of stuff they will already have on a computer probably makes it a very cost efficient idea.
  9. Seadog

10. Seadog

contractors are usually in one place for the whole working day ( standfast scran time ) so get used to the route they take from gangway tower to work site and back. They don't need to know the ship like the back of their hands. Managers and engineers from the Aircraft Carrrier Alliance have been with the project for years so know their way around. Ship's Company won't move on board for a long time yet an those currently standing by her have a the luxury of time to find their way around.
  11. Oh if its in a Newspaper it must be true.
    My mates back home that build A boats get lost so what chance people on these things have I don't know.
  12. 3 years on ARK and got fcuking lost every time I went below 5 deck!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Seadog

Danny wrote
    People on these things seem to be managing just fine, without an app.
  14. Seadog

STM wrote

A dabber should know his limitations.
  15. Lost below 5 deck, now that would be v difficult, must have been socially confused
  16. Stan was a gunner, what's social confusion got to do with it ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

WO mess was on 6 deck. CSB can cause confusion and getting lost.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  18. Throbbing I know, but Forces TV is actually BFBS in a slightly different guise.
  19. Seadog

I knew that; I was trying to be nice the the OP.
  20. Why don't the just change the F to A as it all bloody army army army!