HMS Queen Elizabeth New York

Flight deck looks a little sparse...just three choppers, no fixed wing aircraft...bit like a whorehouse with no whores....:). Lads will be looking forward to a memorable run ashore or six! Just hope Jimmy's and Captains defaulters is not too busy, post weekend....:). jossman and crushers will be rubbing hands in anticipation....;) ;)

Last edited:

Seadog

War Hero
Flight deck looks a little sparse...just three choppers, no fixed wing aircraft...
It does look naked but although I have no operational carrier experience but I’m pretty sure that it’s SOP for fixed air rob fly ashore before the carrier enters harbour.

It does look naked but although I have no operational carrier experience but I’m pretty sure that it’s SOP for fixed air rob fly ashore before the carrier enters harbour.
Possibly, but looking back to my time on the Big 'E', remember their always seemed to be a few Buccaneers, Scimitars, Sea Vixens, Gannets etc cluttering up the flight deck, as was the case in visit to the US, late '60's....though stand to be corrected, was not yesterday!

Last edited:
QNLZ has a Commander. The Jimmy is 3 I/C.
You raise an interesting point, and one which I'd never really thought about. Would the Jimmy ( a lieutenant commander) automatically take command in the event that the Captain and Commander were incapacitated? I appreciate that engineers, supply etc are not of the Chosen Branch, but Wings would be a seaman officer with three stripes.

Seadog

War Hero
Possibly, but looking back to my time on the Big 'E', remember their always seemed to be a few Buccaneers, Scimitars, Sea Vixens, Gannets etc cluttering up the flight deck, as was the case in visit to the US, late '60's....though stand to be corrected, was not yesterday!
You are correct and I’m going astern. I’ve just seen a photo of an RN carrier from back in the day in NY with a a lot of jets lined up.

The F35Bs being used for trials don’t appear to belong to the RN/RAF.

The F35Bs being used for trials don’t appear to belong to the RN/RAF.
You’re correct, the F35’s we’re flying from the deck are American ITF jets with a load of extra sensors and equipment installed. They flew back to Pax River while we’re here in NY. The British jets are at RAF Marham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seadog

War Hero
You raise an interesting point, and one which I'd never really thought about. Would the Jimmy ( a lieutenant commander) automatically take command in the event that the Captain and Commander were incapacitated? I appreciate that engineers, supply etc are not of the Chosen Branch, but Wings would be a seaman officer with three stripes.
Wings may be busy doing WAFU stuff. Even if he or she is not, embarked WAFUs don’t usually know much about their host ship. Mess, bunk, scran hall, Air compartments, sick bay. Wings may not be in date for driving. Best left to the Jimmy, just my take.

Wings may be busy doing WAFU stuff. Even if he or she is not, embarked WAFUs don’t usually know much about their host ship. Mess, bunk, scran hall, Air compartments, sick bay. Wings may not be in date for driving. Best left to the Jimmy, just my take b
Wings is ship’s company, not embarked.

The way I understand it there’s Military command and Naval command. If the CO is taken out, under Naval command, the next Warfare branch officer takes charge and it goes down he pecking line like that. So in (extreme) theory a S/Lt could have command of the ship even if there was a Cdr Logistics onboard.

If the ship was sunk and survivors made land, then Military command kicks in and the highest rank there takes charge.

The way I understand it there’s Military command and Naval command. If the CO is taken out, under Naval command, the next Warfare branch officer takes charge and it goes down he pecking line like that. So in (extreme) theory a S/Lt could have command of the ship even if there was a Cdr Logistics onboard.

If the ship was sunk and survivors made land, then Military command kicks in and the highest rank there takes charge.

Thanks to both @northern-matelot and @Seadog!

You’re correct, the F35’s we’re flying from the deck are American ITF jets with a load of extra sensors and equipment installed. They flew back to Pax River while we’re here in NY. The British jets are at RAF Marham...
There are UK jets at Edwards AFB also where 17 Sqn is responsible for Op Test and Evaluation.

The ITF jets are USMC badged but the UK pays for access to them for specific activity where their instrumentation is required. However, there were RN, RAF and BAeS test pilots at their controls for these initial trials off the QE.

I assume that the Italian Navy and AF will use the same ITF jets when they come to qualify their own F-35Bs on their carriers.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Sounds right.
Coming out of build on a 23 and we had 3 Cdrs - CO, MEO and WEO.
The WEO definitely hated the fact the 2 1/2 jimmy was senior in most of the things that mattered!
The MEO on the other hand was brills - pity I was WE :(

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
Does anybody know if there is a particular reason they are at anchor? Went to New York twice on CVS and each time an american CVN was alongside with us so if they can get to a berth why can’t QE?

Latest Threads