HMS QE.

Taztiff

War Hero
A bit surprised that a hooky seemed to be in charge of the engine issue. I would have thought a senior rate might have been overseeing this but it still came across as very professional.
I think its a bit of the 'nature of the beast' at the moment.
I met a LET(WE) last year (he had just left POW to go outside). Had done his full 22 and still a LH due to the removal of Tiffs / Mechs career path.
So even though he had plenty of experience in running various WE sections, he did not have the relevant academic qualifications to join our place as a Eng Tech. Nothing on his CV said apprenticeship or HNC.
My lad is in now, passed LET(WE) course this year and has his own section on a 23. His target is to get onto POET course because that now gives a Foundation Degree. Will he get to Chiefs? Probably not, whereas for Tiffs and Mechs it was basically guaranteed (unless very naughty!!).

Yes agreed. ''I'm not going ashore on leave in the big apple because I want to spend my last few days with the skipper'', FFS you would not have seen me for dust, make like the road runner!

That being said I agree with most on this thread - I thought on the whole it was an excellent series. A bit surprised that a hooky seemed to be in charge of the engine issue. I would have thought a senior rate might have been overseeing this but it still came across as very professional.

BZ
Could be the senior didn't want to participate in the filming. They did one on SAR years ago. I chose not to be filmed at all. The production team weren't over the moon about it, but in fairness to them they complied with My wishes.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Yep overall good programme - as Knotty said last engineering bit was good, thought the Yank dockies were great

I bet all the other exhaust covers are being reppied out asap to be checked - wrong welds - which Quality manager missed that ??
Who knew there were so many different types of stainless steel?

Ballistic

War Hero
Could be the senior didn't want to participate in the filming. They did one on SAR years ago. I chose not to be filmed at all. The production team weren't over the moon about it, but in fairness to them they complied with My wishes.
Possibly a bit of both.
As Taztiff has implied, engineering Killicks now seem to have more responsibility compared with 'our' day.
Maybe his boss just wanted to let him have the 'glory'.
The MEO was noticeable in his/her absence - or perhaps it was just time constrained editing...

The killick's responsibility thing in general is interesting though - as a fresh out of the box gunbuster on T21's the only reason I really needed to be a senior rate was to have authority over my section which comprised of 2 killicks and 3 WEMs (add 3 more WEMs at action stations).

Technically, it didn't matter whether I was a Killick, PO, or Chief, although it was much, oh so much easier to explain stuff to the WEO as a chief.

For example:

Gun stops firing.
WEO: "What's the problem PO Ballistic?"
PO Ballistic: "Ejection tray case-held mechanism sir. A known problem, Vickers are looking into it,it'll take an hour to fix."
WEO: "What do you think, Charge Chief?"
Charge Chief: (sighing) "Ejection tray case-held mechanism sir. A known problem, Vickers are looking into it,it'll take an hour to fix."
WEO: OK, carry on PO Ballistic.

A couple of years later...
Gun stops firing.
WEO: "What's the problem CPO Ballistic?"
CPO Ballistic: "Ejection tray case-held mechanism sir. A known problem, Vickers are still looking into it,it'll take an hour to fix."
WEO: OK, carry on CPO Ballistic.

Sorry, that was a bit self-indulgent but it was "£2.30 a pint Tuesday" and I took full advantage... :p

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well it was never mentioned on MY Mech's course in Collingrad! But it wouldn't!!

I do how ever know that there are some stainless steels that are better than others, otherwise they wouldn't rust, would they?