HMS QE & PoW in Portsmouth

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Photo nicked from Arrse but a lovely photo of the two ships in Portsmouth.

QE & PoW.jpg

Interesting contrast with the wooden walls to the right of PoW.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
1234.jpg

I like this image from Linkedin. The new and the old.

I commented on this post:

I’m sure seeing the two carriers alongside is a sight to behold. Brings back memories, Feb / Mar 1972, on the PAS boat from Clarence Yard heading out to the harbour training ships, Blackwood and Diamond. Tied up across the harbour was HMS Eagle, HMS Hermes and HMS Albion. I was looking forward to completing my training and joining my first ship, mentally hoping I would be drafted to a carrier. However, it was not to be realized, my first draft was HMS Antrim, after that I had a short draft to HMS Triumph (former carrier) in Chatham then submarines for the next 31 years. While in boats we did “sink” many carriers, RN, USN and others...but that’s another story.

Agreed, as a clanky of the '60's, and sentenced to a while on the Big 'E', not that unusual to see a few carriers alongside at the same time. Memories are made of this.....

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
My first sea draft was the Rusty B in Guzz, also alongside was Hermes and the Ark plus loads of Leanders, Tribals, Whitby class etc. This was in 1974.

Stirlin

War Hero
At least they had a large drill shed/hanger for the ceremony in this weather , though looking at Charles face he was either in a draft or hitting the whisky night before.

^Celebrating his B13:

Rated up to Honorary Commodore-in-Chief, Aircraft Carriers 10 December 2019

The Prince of Wales was today honoured by the Royal Navy with a new title to celebrate the commissioning of his namesake ship. Henceforth the Duke of Cornwall will be the Honorary Commodore-in-Chief, Aircraft Carriers, a title bestowed on him by the First Sea Lord Admiral Tony Radakin, with the blessing of Her Majesty the Queen.

This honorary title highlights the continued relationship between the Royal Navy and the Monarchy and gratefully acknowledges the service of many members of the Royal Family. The Prince of Wales is himself a Naval Officer, following his father, grandfather and great-uncle in the Senior Service.

Phots* & Full story at:

*Just for the Submariners - Spotted any Dolphins? . . . :WINK:

slim

War Hero
Your RN identity card will get you into most military establishments (not the nucky boats area) however this is for you only. In the olden days if you wished to take a guest you were ble to sign them in at the dockyard gates. However with hightened security I do not know if this privledge is still available

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Your RN identity card will get you into most military establishments (not the nucky boats area) however this is for you only. In the olden days if you wished to take a guest you were ble to sign them in at the dockyard gates. However with hightened security I do not know if this privledge is still available
You need a fleet form 3 to get in the yard and also RN personnel need a dockyard pass in Guzz as well as an ID card. I would imagine Pompey is similar.