HMS Puma 1966-1969

I'm the youngest son of chief petty officer Phil Carroll who served on puma throughout 60's, I was born at Plymouth in 67, unfortunately dad passed away in 2005, can anyone remember serving with dad?, any stories to share with me, like most on puma dad loved a drink.

I did that S America trip in HMS London, Bermuda-Houston-Panama-Callao-Valparaiso-Punta Arenas-Punta del Este-Rio-Snoekie. Join the Navy and see the world! Seem to remember Puma had lost an anchor somewhere and had a not-matching replacement picked up in the Falklands ex HMS Sparrow. As diesel ships the 'Cats' had long legs which is why they ended up as the S Atlantic sqn.
The anchor was lost when the ship was anchored in the river at Guayacil, Ecuador. The seaboat was was launched to remove a huge mass of weed attached to the anchor. When an AB prodded it with a boat hook,the anchor dropped off and nearly wiped out the boat and crew.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I was on Puma 1972 - spent all our time up North, cod war, then cold weather trials I think as we went to virtually every scandanavian country, Norway was worst, bloody freezing and bloody expensive.

Then I think President Nkrumah of Ghanaia got assassinated and he had ordered Mermaid as a royal yacht, so we were stuck with it and I believe the MOD said if you want to keep it you will have to scrap something and the Puma was chosen

So I got a sudden draft to Exmouth and went.............................back up north for cold weather gas turbine trials !!

I was on Puma 1972 - spent all our time up North, cod war, then cold weather trials I think as we went to virtually every scandanavian country, Norway was worst, bloody freezing and bloody expensive.

Then I think President Nkrumah of Ghanaia got assassinated and he had ordered Mermaid as a royal yacht, so we were stuck with it and I believe the MOD said if you want to keep it you will have to scrap something and the Puma was chosen

So I got a sudden draft to Exmouth and went.............................back up north for cold weather gas turbine trials !!
Nkrumah was deposed and the new government gave the finger to the builders of what became Mermaid.

Tell me about it .... I was on Exmouth till March 1970 including the cold weather trials ... roughers trials more like it. There are 2 videos about Exmouth on YouTube.

Yes Lovely Linda, i did know your dad George Bushell.(HMS PUMA) I was a seaman RP** Rating. Also ships hair dresser. It would be good if he remembers me, and wants to keep in touch.(Good Times)

Last edited:

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone remember the Jimmy in 72 - I think his name was Le Fanu (later Admiral??) I can remember (I think) that he got court martialled for losing the war book from the safe - was that true - dit was someone threw it overboard cos he wasn't popular......................

Remember the Puma. But did’nt serve in her. Served in sister ship Jaguar 67-70. All the
Cat class must have been crewed by P..sheads as Jaguar was the same. Hope we would go SA and SA again, but spent 68 mainly in the Med. 69 we did a world deployment. That was some trip.
Rumrat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Joining the Royal Navy 5
A The Quarterdeck 2
Shakey History 16