HMS Protector and electronic navaids

They will still have paper charts on board. Unlike what it stated in the article. It's legal requirement under Solas and MCA. However no where as much as they use to.

Electronic charts service isn't new on warships, so this is a bit of a non story to be honest.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will still have paper charts on board. Unlike what it stated in the article. It's legal requirement under Solas and MCA. However no where as much as they use to.

Electronic charts service isn't new on warships, so this is a bit of a non story to be honest.
Quite so and it apears that the RN was something of a pioneer (still yonks after merships and even yachties had ECDIS though :)):
...The British Royal Navy (RN) and Royal Fleet Auxillary (RFA) were the first military organisations in the world to fit NATO-standard WECDIS systems to their warships and auxillaries. The initial contract was signed on January 8th 2004. A rolling installation programme began in July of that year and WECDIS was fitted, first to the capital ships, destroyers and frigates and then in the various survey and minor war vessels.

Since the Royal Navy, other nations have followed suit, including US Coast Guard (August 2007), Royal Australian Navy (October 2007), Brazilian Navy (February 2008 ) and Royal Netherlands Navy (August 2009)...

Being a Nav's Yeo and also ran a business in this industry. I know a fair bit.

Paper Charts will still be used in some form for a while to come. As we know technology isn't 100% reliable. It's not used as much in the RN as it used to be. However it still is in the Super/Mega Yacht industry as the majority of owners/captains like to have a full sets of both paper and electronic outfits.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk