Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS President RNR

TuckerKlein

I recently joined the unit and have a of couple general questions. Is there anyone else that is or has trained there? There’s a drill night tomorrow (I think) and don’t want to look like a complete lemon and make a good impression.

TuckerKlein

First day of school type stuff really:
Should I attend in shirt and tie and be ready to change into a PT kit (take one with me).
Or is it just classroom type exercise initially.

Is it worth researching basic drill because others will be have had experience of this already from being in holding troop?

Are you provided uniform all in one /is there a locker room to keep civvys and kit or should I bring a big travelling back pack in anticipation to take it all (when it eventually all turns up). Bring a padlock for locker? So I don’t look like a helpless tool with a ton of kit and no way to shift it.

Generally keen to be prepared to make everyone’s life easy and just show I give a monkeys

Last edited:

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Have you attested already?

I would suspect that a shirt and tie would create a good first impression.
You are new, so no drill skills would be anticipated.

Only basic uniform will be issued - the bulk will be issued when you eventually get to HMS Raleigh; and, again, what you get on Tuesday depends on attestation.

Stay clam.
Welcome aboard.

TuckerKlein

Yes I’ve attested and had everything cleared, ticked off, examined and literally certified fit as a fiddle.

I guess it’s just the way some others came across at presentation/ open nights seemed to approach it more along the lines of a sports club than part of the armed forces. To me, it means a lot to have got this far and want that to reflect in my effort.

huwshpis

War Hero
It's so different from when I joined in the late 70's! We were then based on HMSs President and Chrysanthemum, moored in the Thames by the Temple. Turned up on drill night (Tuesday) in smart civvies, board HMS President. RT and medical, complete all the security forms and go away for two months. Then get a letter giving me a joining date, turn up with holdall (as advised), Reg Office for RNR44 ID Card, stores for 2sets of No8's, steaming bats, socks, beret and badge. Then classroom training. On completion, to JRs mess in Chrysanthemum to find locker and enjoy first wets as a member of the ship's company.

Part 1 all done aboard Chrysanthemum/President, including extra drill as a member of the Guard (Thursdays), plus odd weekends in HMS Sandpiper. After Part 1, to Branch, WEO got me teaching the other JRs the basics of electricity and test kit. Then joined Kellington for Silver Jubilee Fleet Review and the fun really started.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Powder Is there anyone from the HMS. President / London RNR here? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Vesper HMS President WW1 Restoration Chatham Docks Charity 34
Naval_Gazer Visit HMS Middleton at HMS President this weekend Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil London Poppy Day - November 7th 2013 - HMS Tyne And HMS President Charity 3
soleil Marks & Spencer's 'Leading Ladies' Meet HMS President Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil Visit HMS Blyth At HMS President This Weekend Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil "Officers From HMS President Provide Support At Funeral Of Lady Thatcher" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil BBC1 The One Show - Friday 29th March 2013 - HMS President's Reservists Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
soleil HMS President Meet Adrian Edmonson (The Young Ones) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil "What's In Wapping": "HMS President – Inside London’s Royal Navy Reserve Unit" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil HMS President visits Pub for Hot Cross Bun Tradition (2010) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
A HMS President Recruitment/Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
S HMS President Summer Ball 2009 Social & Reunions 0
S HMS President Summer Ball 2009 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
G HMS President invite you to a charity gala on 9th May 09 Social & Reunions 0
Tanzi HMS President Bases / Shore Est 4
stabradop HMS President Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 38
MasterChief HMS President Divisions Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
M HMS TIPTOE Crew member 1960's Submariners 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Post Card from HMS RALEIGH... History 6
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Post Card from HMS RALEIGH... History 1
Wilts Book - Groovers On Manoeuvres - HMS Sheffield's cheeky Australasia '95 Deployment The Book Club 4
V HMS NELSON Nearest & Dearest 1
Cheeese What's changed at HMS Raleigh since 2018? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS ACTIVE = SINKEX TARGET The Fleet 11
S Face Fuzz at HMS Raleigh RFA 18
Alfacharlie HMS Norman Diamond Lil's 8
B Speakers at Hms Raleigh Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
N Son joining HMS Collingwood 8th Feb 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 7
BratMedic HMS Sepoy History 0
Wreckmasterjay HMS Fearless and the sinking of Foxtrot 4 History 5
D HMS EAGLE old crew Nearest & Dearest 5
MoD_RSS HMS Audacious sails from Barrow MoD News 0
J Hms sultan start dates 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 3
Pandaplodder HMS Intrepid 1823 History 3
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: "HMS Ledbury Returns Home From The Gulf" The Fleet 0
soleil Lochside Press: "Camilla Calls At Faslane To See HMS Astute" Submariners 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J HMS Talybont and HMS Cobra History 5
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7