HMS Plymouth to relocate to Essex?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jun 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't suppose it matters where she goes if it saves her from scrap- although they might want to think again if they're expecting a 250 ton boat...
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Fully loaded 2560

This sort of subject has come up before, I would like to see all retired warships in Pompey, it has the facilities and is already geared up for tourists. Sadly it seems that rarely can these ships stand alone and make enough to pay for their upkeep. Several schemes have been tried and most seem to have failed.
    Does anyone know how the ex Royal Yacht is doing in as far as paying for itself.

If a basin could be found in Portsmouth it seems the best solution to me, I do appreciate that this means that those from the north have great distances to travel if they wish to visit, but surely its better to do that than have these veteran vessels rot away from lack of maintainance?
  3. With the future demise of submarines and frigates in Plymouth, the old excuse from Guzz council of not having room to berth her has gone right out of the window. The wharves are empty now and nothing has moved yet.
  4. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

It took me a while to find a post about her, but I just thought I'd put a picture up of her that was taken this evening. She's currently "living" by me :)

HMS Plymouth.jpg
  5. JG,

Welcome back - Another fine picture, but how is the knee progressing?
  6. She deserves better, a fine warship with a good ships company, was on there when Livesay was the skipper,WI run 73. The run to beat all runs