HMS PENBROKE

Greenie said:
Nutty you don't get promoted to boats -------ya get skidded !!!

The good old days of volunteers died a death about 1970 :? :?

Was in Chatham in 1959 ---P7R for 6 months , boring place but handy for the runs up the line to London. I was Chatham rating before the great move to centralised drafting------only time I went to town was to catch the train!!

Was there not a St Mary's Barracks aswell --it was by the old gunnery school -it was a favourite hidey hole for the barrack stanchions.

In the 70s, St Mary's Island became the dumping ground for dockyard rubbish etc.
East Camp was opened up for baby Supply ratings, the Drill shed (you must have known that) and part of the parade ground became part of the yard also.
We still had about half the parade backing onto the shed, and one end the C&POs mess, the other being the swim pool, Supply training school, sickbay, armoury etc, and something called the Supply Support Group based inside the yard, up until Pembroke shut down.

You missed some good pub runs in Chatham & Gillingham, not so good now, as they have knocked a few down - town improvements I think they call it ?!

Was the Monarch going strong when you were there?

St Mary's Island is now a housing area, pricey with a marina etc

I was on quiet numbers mainly cos I had a draft to a Guzz destroyer and of course the P7R . Ended up as Padres runner and chapel cleaner!!

The parade ground used to be like a carriers flight deck with the goofers on the roadway ---------especially when the wrns were doing parade drill.
Thats when the SnS school was going full time.

St Mary's I always remember the derelict canteen and the various buildings
it was like a step back in history -----long time ago.

I had a girl friend in Portsmouth my next seadraft was a guzz ship and I was in Chatham----really impressed --I was 18 then!!

dt018a9667

War Hero
whitemouse said:
Greenie said:
Nutty you don't get promoted to boats -------ya get skidded !!!

The good old days of volunteers died a death about 1970 :? :?

Was in Chatham in 1959 ---P7R for 6 months , boring place but handy for the runs up the line to London. I was Chatham rating before the great move to centralised drafting------only time I went to town was to catch the train!!

Was there not a St Mary's Barracks aswell --it was by the old gunnery school -it was a favourite hidey hole for the barrack stanchions.

In the 70s, St Mary's Island became the dumping ground for dockyard rubbish etc.
East Camp was opened up for baby Supply ratings, the Drill shed (you must have known that) and part of the parade ground became part of the yard also.
We still had about half the parade backing onto the shed, and one end the C&POs mess, the other being the swim pool, Supply training school, sickbay, armoury etc, and something called the Supply Support Group based inside the yard, up until Pembroke shut down.

You missed some good pub runs in Chatham & Gillingham, not so good now, as they have knocked a few down - town improvements I think they call it ?!

Was the Monarch going strong when you were there?

St Mary's Island is now a housing area, pricey with a marina etc

Don’t forget the old cookery school, just inside the main dockyard gate next to the football pitch and the NBCD school.

dt018a9667 said:
Please don’t blame the cooks it was all our fault.

THE CATERERS

Favourite saying at the servery------Chef this is shite ......................but its well cooked :lol: :lol: :lol:

Submarine days --everyday was a duff made with the same old pussers sponge mix and custard anyway someone upset the chef and asked for something different

Next day same duff--------------------but blue custard
it looked fcuking 'orrible