HMS OTUS-Floating museum piece

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by BillyNoMates, Apr 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You could of course go to Chatham its closer, it cost £10 for a ticket to the Maritime Museum which is valid for 12 months as many visits as you like to Ocelot and all the other exhibits.

Or you could speak nicely to the lads at Barrow SA and they may take you down the Onyx who is being prepared for display.

Or you could give your money to a Square Head.

Nutty

2. Chose the last option, but then I live a bit closer to Sassnitz than Chatham.

It's a shame that the donks no longer work, it would no doubt be very impressive to hear them in action.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

crabman, go to the Submarine Museum at Gosport, whilst on the Alliance tour ask them to play the tape of the donks start up, brings back a lot of memories for us DD's

4. It's a pity there are no videos of a crash Stop Snorting, now that would be impressive.

5. I suppose that half a loaf is better than no bread at all. But a tape won't bring the vibrations and smell of a big diesel donk in action.
    Could it be that deep down inside of me there is a stoker trying to get out?

Forget it Thingy, that's not what I mean.

Thanks for the tip anyway Janner, next time I visit the Britisch Democratic Republic I will give it a try.

6. Maxi, with modern computer graphics anything is possible.

I think we should ask Lamri to produce something in his spare time! Where has Lammers got to, by the way?

The Chatham O Boat is well worth a visit. I went with Nutty and GR last year and just couldn't work out how you were all able to fit in to such small spaces . They should all be renamed T Boats: Tardis class! ;)

7. It could be worse it could be a stoker trying to get in.

As for the noise and vibration, I was once on a ship that lost all power, when things go that quiet it is scary, though an O boat 186ing was even quieter as there was no stokers running around in a panic trying to start boilers and generators.

8. I have in my possession a tape recording of Onslaughts last snort and surfacing prior to going into refit.
    It has all the nosies but not the smells of course of life onboard.
    Friends not seen for years suddenly spring to life again as it plays away.You can hear the cans opening on our last channel night and the various pipes etc.

The banter never changes or ceases to amuse me.

Oh happy days.

9. It's a shame that the donks no longer work, it would no doubt be very impressive to hear them in action.[/quote]

I see no reason why they can't get them to work, they have an internal fuel tank, Otus is afloat as is Onyx more difficult in dry dock but it could be done. Air Bottles for turning over the engine need to be tested and charged. After services at least one side needs to be running s/w cooling. f/w topping up, oil and savenge systems running and a tank of diesel and for the icing on the cake both separators too. no point puttng any load on cause they aint got no batterys.
    Mind I expect elf an safety may have something to say about it.

10. I see no reason why they can't get them to work, they have an internal fuel tank, Otus is afloat as is Onyx more difficult in dry dock but it could be done. Air Bottles for turning over the engine need to be tested and charged. After services at least one side needs to be running s/w cooling. f/w topping up, oil and savenge systems running and a tank of diesel and for the icing on the cake both separators too. no point puttng any load on cause they aint got no batterys.
    Mind I expect elf an safety may have something to say about it.[/quote]

I wish I could post the piccies I took, then the reason would be clear. At least one pot has been removed and damaged, I suspect the others are in a similar condition, apart from which the donks have been idle for years. It perhaps tells a story that the boat had to be towed from England to its last resting place.

11. I was talking in a best case sinario, however I have been down Onyx at barrow and she's pretty much all together, albeit needs a bit of a cleanup. I'm just saying it ain't impossible.

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I wish I could post the piccies I took, then the reason would be clear. At least one pot has been removed and damaged, I suspect the others are in a similar condition, apart from which the donks have been idle for years. It perhaps tells a story that the boat had to be towed from England to its last resting place.[/quote]

Email the pics to one of the clever b*ggers on here they can put them on the thread, anyone want to PM Crabman a email address?

13. Oh gosh that must be a rivetting 'listen to' moment!!!
    Nearly as bad as my oppo on killick EMs course who had an LP of the 1965 Isle of Man TT.
    Who in gods kingdom wants to listen to the donks on an O boat especially snorting!
    Christ the memory of waking up by someone shaking you at two in the morning to go on watch, watching his mouth move but not being able to hear a bleeding thing then realising that you hadn't gone deaf but that some mupett had decided to put a charge on an hour earlier falling out of your cart friggin freezing with whats left of your ears running down yer cheeks because the port donk had sucked yer brains out gagging for air!!!
    Thats fun ? I think not and a memory I choose but can't, forget.

14. I also have a recording of London trams if you're interested :lol:

15. Thanks but!! You hang on to them 'Rod' I wouldn't be able to contain myself!!

16. Can only remember getting woken up once when they were drawing a vacuum and I was off watch racked. Must have been able to clear my ears in my sleep!

17. I certainly found that after the first few snorts my ears would clear automatically at the slightest provocation, it is only now that senility is approaching that they do not clear driving up a slight hill.

18. Go on,you know you want to..... :lol:

19. Is it ONYX that used to be alongside in Birkenhead, with (I think) PLYMOUTH and BONINGTON?