Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Osprey (Today)

Spent a very miserable week back 93 in the sick bay there prior to being transported upto Haslar, I should say I spent an even more miserable week the week before in Weymouth hospital, cause of this, I had a row with a steel hawser down on the jetty and the hawser unsurprisingly won

Only ever went to Osprey once and that was the night before I joined RFA Engadine. Having worked in ETS at VL with the Lynx lot I found them rather strange!!!

"Wasn't like this at Portland", was their favorite saying!!

Only ever went to Osprey once and that was the night before I joined RFA Engadine. Having worked in ETS at VL with the Lynx lot I found them rather strange!!!

"Wasn't like this at Portland", was their favorite saying!!
That made Oi chuckle, as the Lynx squadrons were formed at VL in the first place. Spent their first years at VL. Then! They moved to Portland only to return to VL many moons later!!!

The weather was shit, the ride across Chisel Beach with horizontal rain and gale force rain was a challenge, Weymouth was dead, devoid of the “Grockle” that actually gave the place a spark.
marginally better than Guz, on a par with Pompey, streets ahead of Faslane and Rosyth and a country mile ahead of any other Naval Air Station. Chatham was the clear winner due to its proximity to the Capital.
Malta,Singapore and Hong Kong stood head and shoulders above the lot, Gib OK for a four hour visit.
Just my jaundiced opinion, others obviously may well differ.

Ok, just interested why. Winter without the Grockles was bliss I thought. Straight to the bar, no waiting. Didn't need the holiday fanny with a couple of nurses colleges and a couple of teachers training colleges in town to keep it lively. As long as you knew where to go I suppose).
Place only went downhill, (in my opinion), when the Navy pulled out of the place. You even hear the locals say it was better when the Navy was here. Place is filling up with different generations who like everywhere, don't want to work, not there is much!!
These days, I avoid Weymouth like the plague, run down, loads of beggars, full of phone shops!!!!
Everywhere is what you make it. Weymouth no different to most sea side towns in winter.

I forgot the beer which was an all year round dislike Devenish ! I used to prefer Eldridge Popes “Royal Oak“ which was an amber beer. The Nothe Tavern was the place don’t know whether it still exists or even if it’s become a Wetherspoons peddling piss. Happy memories, took my wife to be to Weymouth back in 76 avoided the Vic bars and the Black dog and went back to the Nothe only to bump into an old oppo and his soon to be. The night dissolved into an alcohol fuelled haze closely observed by my non drinking future wife who was rapidly reappraising her decisions.

I forgot the beer which was an all year round dislike Devenish ! I used to prefer Eldridge Popes “Royal Oak“ which was an amber beer. The Nothe Tavern was the place don’t know whether it still exists or even if it’s become a Wetherspoons peddling piss. Happy memories, took my wife to be to Weymouth back in 76 avoided the Vic bars and the Black dog and went back to the Nothe only to bump into an old oppo and his soon to be. The night dissolved into an alcohol fuelled haze closely observed by my non drinking future wife who was rapidly reappraising her decisions.
Agree, Devonish was sh1te!! Not too keen on Eldridge Pope either to be honest! Before more drinkable ales appeared it was bottled for me. Newcastle Brown or Carlsberg Special with a Woods top and anything in-between. (Until I had that fateful - never again event!!!!)
Nothe Tavern is still going, or was last year when I was over that way!

That looks like the old Distex site, and the wardroom further along. And I forget which LST they towed back and repaired; booties and SB and other special forces use it for assault training etc.
What was the old Ops room etc and tower is now prime accommodation. The tower is occupied by the boss of Heliops !!

Last edited:

Latest Threads