HMS Ocean Seizes Cocaine in the Carribean

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Six_and_a_Half, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Defence News Article

Personally I think this is the best way to reduce the amount of drugs sold in the streets, halt its coming into this country before it gets here! I found the article and the video quite interesting as an insight into how the Royal Navy conducts these drug busts, and also how smugglers transport the drugs from the Carribean into Europe.

What would be interesting to learn, is how the seized drugs are disposed of. I don't know if anybody can enlighten me here?

It always amazes me though; how can people degenerate themselves to snorting cocaine, especially when one considers their preferred location to partake of their habit: the public toilet. Well, I would only hope that you agree with me here, but snorting angel dust off a toilet seat is not my idea of a good night out!

2. Like Salvage money the spoils are divided by Rank. Obviously the Captain gets the biggest share with the rest proportionally divided between the rest of the ships company.

Seized drugs used to be incinerated, obviously under supervision.

3. Doesn't appear to do Kate Moss and Doherty much harm... she's got a multi million £ contract and he's still being let off by the (now) so-called Ministry of Justice :x

4. Bring back bounty i say !

5. Lst year on Cumberland we seized 200 million pounds worth of coke beat that carrier fags.
    Just WTF is that jolly boat doing a frigates/destroyers job anyways. What a monumental waste of resources.

6. I imagine that the system is similar to that in Australia where the seized drugs are handed to the Federal Police, weighed, tested and kept secure until the matter comes to court. After the court proceedings are finished the drugs are destroyed by burning. All this time a strict chain of custody record is kept and the weights checked each time the drugs change hands. The distruction is also witnessed and the distruction certificate signed by those present.

7. As soon as the drugs have been seized, the embarked US LEDET Coastguard have jurisdiction. The drugs are then taken to Miami to be disposed.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh, HMS xxx seized more drugs than HMS xxx..!? Illegal drugs stopped from entering the black market is a "waste of resources"?! What happened to the old saying: "Speak softly but carry a bit stick"? Although the seizure was relatively small compared to others, the message is clear to traffickers - we're here to stop you! 8O

9. What I am implying,is not that the job is not worth doing but using the largest ship in the fleet to do what a T23/22/42 does so well seems a bit ridiculous.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Ocean was deployed in the area anyway, although not specifically for Drug Enforcement duties. That fact she did interdict a consignment was a bonus. BZ to them!

11. Surely it's more the RFA's job these days? Wave Ruler making bust after bust last winter with Iron Duke getting nary a look in.

Taking the argument to its logical conclusion, why waste an FF/DD on a job that could be done by a tanker with a cab on the back and a USCG Ledet embarked?

12. I would imagine that the best type of ship for drug-busting / anti-smuggling work would be a fast-patrol boat, except we haven't got any anymore! :oops:

The next best ship would be the offshore patrol vessel, but we're rather short on those as well! I suppose in the end it all boils down to the fact that it doesn't matter what ship does the job, as long as its getting done.

With regards to Scud's comment: "Surely its the job of the RFA these days" I would certainly hope not! As I understand it RFA ships are not armed and are used to support the RN at sea in a logistical sense. It would be unwise to expect them to act in any kind of operational role.

13. don't complain. drugs off the street are drugs off the street. doesn't matter how we do it, it has to happen

14. OOH Yeah! The one with dark chocolate on. "Treats" and "Golden Cups" where nice too. :wink:

15. 8O Think it's time you brought yourself up to speed with RFA operations. With the exception of the Bay Class all RFA's are fitted for self defence, ranging from 20mm to Phalanx on the AOR's. The boys and girls on Sir Bedivere off the Kuwait coast are certainly doing more than supporting the RN at sea in a logistical sense!

Get used to the blue flag being used in worldwide operations - harmony is killing the RN.

16. I'll let you off for not appreciating maritime ops :)

Big decks have lots of information coming in and a mix of assets to do the job with.

And RFAs are just as capable of hosting the capability as anything else.

17. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I think you are seriously kidding yourself if you believe that our counetr-narcotics japes dents the market in any way. The Carribean is a vast and mighty ocean, crossed every day by go-fasts from all sorts of cartels, making their way from Venezuela, Columbia and other countries in that region to refuelling stops and small islands en route. There is simply not enough resources about to make it difficult for the traffickers to operate and for one, highly paid trio of bandits to make it so far and be intercepted, there are many who get through. These boats travel at 50+knots with their hull furnished to take two provisions - fuel and drugs. RoE states that it is illegal to operate any function which will endanger lives (I know, I know, ludicrous as it is) and such notions as 'putting a round through the engine' and 'dropping cargo nets to snag the prop' are verboten. Having done the APT(N) a few years ago and watched them get away with impunity (including a few gaffes and **** ups which would make a dog laugh - journalists, **** off, I am not telling, BTW) one smiles sagely when you see these bales 'destined for the streets of Britain' and the 'major dent in the operation of the cartels' and knows it aint quite the truth. The tide of cocaine and marijuana across the Carribean is relentless. True, doing nothing is not an option, but let's face it, the great and the good (the major recipients of this bounty) get away with it over and over again and fuel the trade by their ignorance and ambivalence.

Dude. Take a walk into any club in a major city and you'll possibly see the users of cocaine not administering it from the toilet cistern. It's now done quite openly. Likewise taking cannabis. Again, mythological stereotypes.

Levers

18. Are we reduced to drug running? Where has my Navy gone? Yes they are off the streets, but they won`t go away, we have a small enough fleet as it is, the US Coastguard is huge, another Government ploy to please Bush?

19. I wouldn't say we were reduced to drug running. In 1807 was the Royal Navy reduced to slavery patrols? I believe that an international effort is required to halt the sale of illegal drugs worldwide, and using RN warships to to thwart the smugglers making their passage across the Atlantic is simply a part of Britain's committment to that effort.