HMS Monmouth homecoming

danny

War Hero
Lamri said:
danny said:
Yeah an im sure the crew of the Victory would call sending telegrams perks. Emails are part of life. The ship has the technology to allow it why not use it. Or should we just live in the dark ages for the sake of it?
And beleve it or not emails are not always available to ships company for use. Comunication blackouts are reguarly imposed by command if nessicery for operational security.

Yeah cheers for that, I'm still in you know :roll:

Sorry thaught u were proper salty. If your still in then why arnt you greatful for email?
Im sure things were fine before it. But if we can have it why not use it?

All I am saying is that a deployment of that length is not that special and that it wasn't all that long ago when those were pretty much the norm, WITHOUT all the extras that people take for granted these days.
And that includes flying all or part of the ships company off half way through a deployment, only for them to rejoin after some leave, bring the ship back home and act like they've been away forever in some cess pit (or sand pit).
Monmouth's ships company are actually very lucky if you ask me, lots of good runs AND most of them have come home with enough money in their back bin to buy a few nice presents this christmas :)

Lamri said:
All I am saying is that a deployment of that length is not that special and that it wasn't all that long ago when those were pretty much the norm, WITHOUT all the extras that people take for granted these days.
And that includes flying all or part of the ships company off half way through a deployment, only for them to rejoin after some leave, bring the ship back home and act like they've been away forever in some cess pit
(or sand pit).
Monmouth's ships company are actually very lucky if you ask me, lots of good runs AND most of them have come home with enough money in their back bin to buy a few nice presents this christmas :)

in agreement babe- the bro in law has a 10 month deployment next year and is horrified at the thought of being away longer than 2 months!!!!!!!!!
blimey- god forbid- join the RN and have to go away!!!!!

Lamri said:
Perks?

I was talking about 7-8-9 month deployments with three days A MONTH alongside in some shithole West African stenchpit.

Perks?

Where?

This is what we did. We didn't expect perks like you lot do. Internet? Taken for granted. Phone calls home when you feel like it? Taken for granted. Emails? Taken for granted.

When I ran aground, I was GRATEFUL to be able to send a VERY SHORT telegram home telling my mum and dad that I was alive![/quote]

lol- good run ashore tho from what i can remember!!!!!!!!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
sgtpepperband said:
Lamri said:
danny said:
Yeah if top mast worked thats what would happen. top mast dosent work. When sutherland went downt the gulf for 10 months. A lot of people did the full 10 months.

And?
You say that like its a BAD thing!
9 month deployments used to be the norm. Its only because of the pampered generation that deployments have had to be cut. Otherwise the rate of PVR would be immense.

So wrong. Most Ship's Companies have no problem with deploying for this long, but because the sea/shore ratio is different to how you remember it, personnel often go for much longer without having taken any leave or time ashore to complete courses (unlike the old days when people could go from JS to LH on the same ship just by completing a Task Book, nowadays professional courses have to be taken ashore to qualify people for the next higer rate).
Therefore harmony time ashore now includes time on qualification course (rather than 'Buffer's Party in HMS Nelson' et al), so a rating could effectively have a 5-6 year draft on the same ship with no chance to 'harmonise' ashore other than on a long and intensive course - that is the more likely cause of personnel submitting their notice, rather than time on deployment.

My red, I've always understood that all rates took professional courses before promotion in the RN, certainly was the norm for Communicators in my time

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Without wanting to get into an us and them argument thought the following may be of some interest to the younger generation.

1960 - 1970.

If you went married accompanied draft to say Singapore the draft was for two and a half years. Communication home by snail mail or landline telephone (cost around £1 a minute and you had to book the call in advance). (compare the cost with todays and the respective wage of the time).

Single men for the same draft (or unaccompanied married men) was normally 18 months although this could be extended.

On boats, at 18 months into a commission this meant that a proportion of the crew would change over. Those coming towards the end of their draft would often be drafted to a Boat that was returning to the UK, I suppose it saved on the air fares. If a Boat was going home there would be all sorts of crew shuffles to get those going home and those onboard that were part way through their draft off and onto another boat.

clanky

War Hero
janner said:
Without wanting to get into an us and them argument thought the following may be of some interest to the younger generation.

1960 - 1970.

If you went married accompanied draft to say Singapore the draft was for two and a half years. Communication home by snail mail or landline telephone (cost around £1 a minute and you had to book the call in advance). (compare the cost with todays and the respective wage of the time).

Single men for the same draft (or unaccompanied married men) was normally 18 months although this could be extended.

On boats, at 18 months into a commission this meant that a proportion of the crew would change over. Those coming towards the end of their draft would often be drafted to a Boat that was returning to the UK, I suppose it saved on the air fares. If a Boat was going home there would be all sorts of crew shuffles to get those going home and those onboard that were part way through their draft off and onto another boat.

I wonder what the operational tempo was like back in those days. Acquaintanceswho served back then talk of going alongside every weekend. There is even mention of something called a "sleepy sunday"
I doubt that ship's spent 2months at a time in defence watches either. Before any of the old guard rush in to protest, I am merely making the point that there a pro's and cons with serving in both era's. Its far too easy to say "back in my day".

angry_mac

War Hero
brazenhussy said:
Lamri said:
Perks?

I was talking about 7-8-9 month deployments with three days A MONTH alongside in some shithole West African stenchpit.

Perks?

Where?

This is what we did. We didn't expect perks like you lot do. Internet? Taken for granted. Phone calls home when you feel like it? Taken for granted. Emails? Taken for granted.

When I ran aground, I was GRATEFUL to be able to send a VERY SHORT telegram home telling my mum and dad that I was alive![/quote]

lol- good run ashore tho from what i can remember!!!!!!!!

NO this is too funny, at the most you joined up in 90, so dont try and make out you're some old hand. Would that have been the Brazen then! I could go on about my time on Broadsword and that fire,sure there are some old lags from fearless here as well, you would not have died my dear, navy is far worse than it was 7/8 yrs ago. I know, from Juneo nwards 14 months out of 18 away from home.

When did I say that I could have died, fuckwit?
Get an Englishman to read my post to you.
And it was 1988 that I joined, as stated in another thread! :roll:

Latest Threads