HMS Monmouth homecoming

sara21

Lantern Swinger
BBC Radio1 are having a special edition of Newsbeat on-air @ 5.45 tonight for all those interested.
Interviews with crew and the like.

Global Deployment is a cracking once in a lifetime trip. Although it's not always cheers easy. It's a flying the flag type trip so lots of visits to show off the vessel in it's glory

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger
Funny thing is a 32 year old Nuclear submarine did near as damn it the same running, leaving in January 07 and getting back late October, I dont remember the press coverage for that.

Bawsack said:
Funny thing is a 32 year old Nuclear submarine did near as damn it the same running, leaving in January 07 and getting back late October, I dont remember the press coverage for that.
Don't worry, we can all look forward to doing more 9 monthers in the future.

clanky said:
Bawsack said:
A shipmate of mine who is still in mentioned that JRs get flown home\replaced half way through deployments. So would that make it 4.5 month deployments instead?

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Bawsack said:
better sack the PRO then...

silverfox said:
Bawsack said:
better sack the PRO then...
Makes a change they made it past GIB lol The Sub that came on NTG 2k didn't make it past GIB not alone go around the world and sent the deployment alongside lol

BTW I'm mearly gesting before anyone gets the hump

flymo said:
clanky said:
Bawsack said:
A shipmate of mine who is still in mentioned that JRs get flown home\replaced half way through deployments. So would that make it 4.5 month deployments instead?
Yeah if top mast worked thats what would happen. top mast dosent work. When sutherland went downt the gulf for 10 months. A lot of people did the full 10 months.

danny said:
Yeah if top mast worked thats what would happen. top mast dosent work. When sutherland went downt the gulf for 10 months. A lot of people did the full 10 months.
And?
You say that like its a BAD thing!
9 month deployments used to be the norm. Its only because of the pampered generation that deployments have had to be cut. Otherwise the rate of PVR would be immense.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Lamri said:
danny said:
And?
You say that like its a BAD thing!
9 month deployments used to be the norm. Its only because of the pampered generation that deployments have had to be cut. Otherwise the rate of PVR would be immense.
So wrong. Most Ship's Companies have no problem with deploying for this long, but because the sea/shore ratio is different to how you remember it, personnel often go for much longer without having taken any leave or time ashore to complete courses (unlike the old days when people could go from JS to LH on the same ship just by completing a Task Book, nowadays professional courses have to be taken ashore to qualify people for the next higer rate).
Therefore harmony time ashore now includes time on qualification course (rather than 'Buffer's Party in HMS Nelson' et al), so a rating could effectively have a 5-6 year draft on the same ship with no chance to 'harmonise' ashore other than on a long and intensive course - that is the more likely cause of personnel submitting their notice, rather than time on deployment.

Bawsack said:

Silent Service? :thumright: