Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS MERCURY

Whilst on Killick's Course at Mercury I rose to the dizzy heights of Fire Engine Driver. It was a Series I or II Land Rover Defender decked out as a fire tender. The battery was kept trickled charged on a mains lead into a socket on the garage wall. First time I drove this beast in anger I drove out of the garage and pulled the socket from the wall. To add injury to insult I ran over the charger again when parking up the Landie back in the garage. The Buffer, needless to say, was not a happy-chappy next day!

TexAvery said:
Fond memories of rushing for the bus on harry weekenders to get to Petersfield for the train.

After mustering in the drill shed of course getting your pussers case checked by the Reggies for too many 'blue liners'!!

Chaz said:
TexAvery said:
Fond memories of rushing for the bus on harry weekenders to get to Petersfield for the train.

After mustering in the drill shed of course getting your pussers case checked by the Reggies for too many 'blue liners'!!

Got caught at Mercury for that Chaz by Yeo Gaskell (Bastard !!) - 2 weeks 9s, 2 weeks 10s, £65 fine and stoppage of leave.

Your 83/84 dates coincide with my time there ! DId you join July 83 (Drake 23 or 29?) by any chance?

Easily the best Shore Establishment i ever had the pleasure of being drafted to.

I was there just as the SAS(Wrens at sea) started their training and it was great.

It was like being in a legalised knocking shop. The instructors were the worst!!!

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Chaz said:
TexAvery said:

Got caught at Mercury for that Chaz by Yeo Gaskell (Bastard !!) - 2 weeks 9s, 2 weeks 10s, £65 fine and stoppage of leave.

Your 83/84 dates coincide with my time there ! DId you join July 83 (Drake 23 or 29?) by any chance?

I was Benbow 27's shippers, passed out from Raleight in Aug 83 and then went straight on summer leave and then joined Mercs around the start of Sep 83. And yes Yeo Gaskell was a bastard!

"Ben" the Burger-Man, and his Big Boiled Burger, Burger Van?

The choice usually was.....Boiled Burger, Boiled Onions, Boiled Hot-Dog,
in a Boiled Burger Bap as I seem to recall.

Must have eaten bloody hundreds of 'em.

Good old Ben the burger man. His son took over the franchise when he passed away and it became affectionately known as "Bensons".

They were pretty disgusting though, but used to get a large queue post bop nights in the Mercury Club.

When I was on killicks course in 1984, a lad on our course 'Tommo' Thompson could eat 5 of them in one sitting and yes, he was a fat bastard. :)

billybones said:
God, remember the burger van, only thing to look forward too, spent 2 weeks in sick bay being waited on, pulling that daft fire trolley about and being shit scared of doing night patrols in the woods, anyway was there couple of weeks ago nov 2007, lot of it still standing, Duke of Westminster owns it now, he wants to knock it all down and build a housing estate, the rest which is the bit below the main road is used by a load of hippies, they bury people there in straw baskets, what the hell as this country come too.
Oh, and must not forget backward swimming lessons in the outdoor swimming pool in November, if only we could do it all over again.

Loved the van run by Ben. Everything was boiled for sure but whatever the weather was always there. I remember having to dig out the road covered in snow and just making it to the Rising Sun before digging our way back. Happy days.

Does anyone remember big Joe Kelman? He was about 7 foot tall and had to wear sandals on divs because the navy did not have size 18 boots!

Joined Merx for the first time in 87 as a buntin, back in 88 for early 2 weeks sparker training(should have seen where the branch was going then) 2 weeks is all you need to take in what a sparker does.

back in 92 for LRO(T)'s course, during that time, spent lot of time at the bop, the oggi wagon, stick patrol and generaly winding the sparkers up

Loved it there. Training in 88/89 and back for killicks course in 91 followed by the best sea draft ever, mercury oxp. Sitting playing darts in the oxp office up by the buffer store.

Not that I spent much time in the office though. Always at friggin sea on the flat tops, bloody Balkan conflict !!

5dits said:
Joined Merx for the first time in 87 as a buntin, back in 88 for early 2 weeks sparker training(should have seen where the branch was going then) 2 weeks is all you need to take in what a sparker does.

back in 92 for LRO(T)'s course, during that time, spent lot of time at the bop, the oggi wagon, stick patrol and generaly winding the sparkers up

Winding the sparkers up? Just remember your place as an upper deck technician and painter. The only reason buntings were thought about is because the muppets could not read fast morse. :)

Oh and by the way, buntings no longer exist and they have given YOUR job to the dabbers, which just goes to show how easy it was.

Ahh Brigham, you are just as easy to wind up now as you where on the Notty as my RS.

Sparkers always did have an Inferiority complex!

Latest Threads