HMS MERCURY

D25 Carysfort

Midshipman
Been mentioned before but any recollections of Ben's Burgers or Son of Ben ? I had a great mate Dai Rees RIP a (W) who became an (S). He like I had many memories of those awful Burgers lol

Last edited:
I was a National Service Coder Special at HMS Mercury in the summer of 1956. Did 6 weeks basic radio training and then sent up to Crail in Scotland to learn Russian (to keep an ear on our Russian friends during the "Cold War").
There can't be many of us left now.
Remember guarding the armoury in North Camp with a wooden pick-axe. Scrumpy at The Bat and Ball (or was it the Bat and Boll ...?) at Hambledon. The Rising Sun at Clanfield? Hitch-hiking along the A3 to London on a week-end pass. Mountbatten's inspection parade.
The Archives always refer to "Leydene House". I'm sure we all called it "Peel House".
Perhaps Winmill can confirm?

D25 Carysfort

Midshipman
In the late 60s an ex Army Officer (a Major ??) was the landlord. He made it known us Signal School Ratings weren't welcome, Wardroom only. We didn't really care as we had the Pinky and the Rising Sun for a starters. For the RAs The Green Dragon had a Darts team (it was known by some as the Fleetwork Trainer keeping the Buntings happy).. I still live not far from what was the Green Dragon, now a Tesco ffs.

Guns

War Hero
http://www.commsmuseum.com

There was a lot of material from HMS MERCERY which found its way to Mercery CIS school. This site brings it together.

Lots of course photos and I still look as skin and essence as I did back in 1990ishodd.

Actually that is not true. There are two photos of me handing out certificates when I was OIC of the CIS section. And a fat ****** I was too. Lost most of that weight thank god.

Please have a look and if you can add details to the photos (they have some that lack metadata so need things like names and year) please feel free.

Sumo

War Hero
http://www.commsmuseum.com

There was a lot of material from HMS MERCERY which found its way to Mercery CIS school. This site brings it together.

Lots of course photos and I still look as skin and essence as I did back in 1990ishodd.

Actually that is not true. There are two photos of me handing out certificates when I was OIC of the CIS section. And a fat ****** I was too. Lost most of that weight thank god.

Please have a look and if you can add details to the photos (they have some that lack metadata so need things like names and year) please feel free.
guns you forgot to tell us which year you OIC?

soleil

War Hero
Petersfield Post:

Wave of nostalgia at HMS Mercury Reunion

MORE than 100 Royal Navy veterans took a trip down memory lane on Sunday as a reunion took place at a former communications school near East Meon.

Memories were shared over a buffet and beer during the HMS Mercury Rising event in The Sustainability Centre with the fun taking place in the base’s old ‘sick bay’.

Dr Jill Edmunds gave a talk about the archaeology of the site and Leydene House before the Navy took over while centre manager Christine Seaward spoke about their plans to transform the block into a new learning centre.

Volunteers were also on hand to record some of the stories and anecdotes from people who served or trained at Mercury during its 52-year tenure as a memory book is planned.

Anyone who would like to share a memory or story about life at Leydene should e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.petersfieldpost.co.uk/ar...ercury Reunion&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

Latest Threads