HMS Mercury DONALD ASKEW from Rotherham

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Chuffa, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for information about my late Father, Donald Askew from Rotherham. His Official number being: SSX 856179. He Joined The Royal Navy at Portsmouth in 1947 up until 1954.

He was at HMS Mercury during his time on a number of occasions:

Dec 1948 - Apr 1949
    Jan - Sep 1950
    Sep - Dec 1953
    Then September 1954 where he was Borne for release to shore for RFR.

His other postings in between were, HMS Excalibur, HMS Pembroke, HMS Sea Eagle (Londonderry), HMS Loch Lomond, and Colombo in Ceylon.

He ended up a Wireless Officer (Tel).

He has a Certificate for Wounds and Hurts that states on the 18 September 1950 whilst belonging to HMS Loch Lomond, (now I don't know how this worked in the Navy then) played for HMS Mercury against HMS Collingwood in the United Services Football League match at
    Fareham. He was badly tackled by a defender and was carried off for the rest of the match. He was a good footballer and loved the game, but this tackle ended his football life.

Does any of you Old Salts remember my Father or the game. Any info please.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Chuffa, didn't know your Dad, he was a bit before my time, I would suspect from his service length that he was a Telegraphist 2nd class. Basically this meant a fully trained operator. He would have worked in a Wireless Office which is probably where you description of his trade came from

Good luck in your search.

3. Cheers janner