Discussion in 'Submariners' started by janner, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

2. Looks like they need to visit Halfords for a few tins of submarine black to cover up the rust spots!
  3. Is it gramatically correct to use the words "Jolly" and "Portland" in the same sentence :?: :thumright:

4. that's not rust its where they had to cut it away from the jetty
  5. No such thing as a bad run ashore - only bad "runners". :thumright:
  6. I dare say if you had been on Tireless earlier this year then you might be a bit reluctant to leave the jetty.
  7. Couple of things to quote from this article;

Well first, I call bullshit here. From what I've read, an internet connection is strictly forbidden on a Submarine as to not give away the position of the Boat.

Why does he need to explain the Royal Navy's actions here? If it's within the borders of the UK, then who should he have to reassure or explain anything to?
  8. janner

Creds, get your head down again mate, there are very few berths in the UK for the Nucs.

As for the Jolly, if I survive the piss up tonight I'll let you know how good it was!!
  9. Counter:

Emails are now sent and and received on boats thanks to DII. Clearly they aren't used when opsec means that you shouldn't be transmitting, but receiving only requires an aerial. No bullsh*t, gen dit.

As for explaining the actions, its is "hearts and minds", allaying fears from having a nuclear reactor parked down the road. Add to that that it is a local rag that the article is for. Not all cities host or like having SSNs nearby, so some mollification is needed.

And as much as I like Ed Ahlgren, the RN has been running nuclear boats for a lot longer than 14 years!
  10. Sorry Janner, could you repeat that please?

Berths for nucs? Arrghh, I've got to get a book to understand all this Royal Navy slang.
  11. Gents, a few updates for those of you who have no idea what you are talking about. Internet - yes, great new comms mast that means that e-mail can be sent and recieved at sea. Naturally not during a covert op. The CO is absolutley right saying what he did; lots of civvies have no idea how a nuclear boat works (they just think Chernobyl) hence we always highlight our safety record which is over 40 years not 14.
    What happened to her ealrier in the year was a tragedy and many of the team were deeply affected but they have got on with the job and continue to do so to the highest professional standards. So before you fire a cheap shot just think how you would have got on in such circumstances and ask yourself if you would have had the balls to operate dived again.
    So, those of you who are serving and made some crass comments just think before you hit the keyboard. For those retired, things have moved on a great deal and for the better.
  12. janner

There are very few Ports that allow Nuclear Boats access, its good news on the run ashore side that they now have Weymouth/Portland.

OSLO, nothing to do with Capt. The good old Echo struck again it should read 40 years, which is what other news people said.
  13. Thanks for the reply OSLO.

14. As a retired submariner, may I ask that you ratify that statement please
    geoff(ers) :nemo:
  15. Thanks for the reply Janner.

Oh and upallroundlook, thank you for the information about email, but I think the "crass" comments remark was unwarranted.

What did it have to do with this topic, and who questioned the bravery of Submariners and the level of their professionalism?
  16. geoffg, sorry if I caused any offence. It's all to do with quality of life onboard et al which is actually much better thnaks to better kit in WT and messes!
  17. As is your right.

You'd be wrong.

The issue is that the cable gets tangled up in rocks...
  18. The allusion upthread about the loss of two earlier in the year...
  19. Creddly, check out notafourknotfudgepacker's comment.
  20. Sorry Karma and Upall, I missed that.

Too many responses flying around.