HMS/M Graph (ex U-Boat 570

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by roister2, Feb 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am doing a project on Captured Enemy Weapons WWII, and how they where used against their former owners. The story of HMS/M Graph is of particular interest, all that I know is from the Observer's Directory of Royal Naval Submarines 1901 - 1982. Any old salts out there with tales to tell of her service with the RN would be much appreciated. Also I do not seem to be able to find any record of a ships badge for said craft.
    Congrats on an excellent site. <<< Roister2>>>.

2. taken from uboat.net http://uboat.net/articles/?article=32
    which has info on some other captured u boats

U-570
    The boat left Trondheim, Norway under the command of Kptlt Hans Rahmlow on August 23rd, 1941 to operate in the North Atlantic on her first operational patrol before going to her La Pallice (France) base.
    She was captured when Rahmlow raised his periscope at 1100hrs on August 27th and saw nothing and thus surfaced his almost stationary boat. Directly above (in its periscope 'blind spot') U-570 was Sqn Ldr J. H. Thompson in his Hudson 'S' on anti-submarine patrol from Iceland. He noticed the dream target and placed several well placed depth charges all around U-570 severely damaging her.

Shortly after his initial attack he saw a white flag being waved from the tower indicating the surrender. He contacted his superiors and was told to fly watch while they figured out how they could get vessels to the area. He was relieved by a Catalina flying boat in the evening and finally after 12 hours the trawler Northern Chief showed up but the weather was too bad to capture her at that time so she waited for reinforcements that arrived during the night in the form of the trawlers Kingston Agate, Windermere and Wastwater and the destroyer HMS Burwell. The last ship to the scene was the Canadian HMCS Niagara.

When she was finally captured by life rafts in the heavy seas there had been ample time to destroy all secret documents and internal fittings.

U-570 was towed to Iceland and beached there while being hastingly repaired before she was towed to Britain where she was to be commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Graph on Sept 29, 1941.

As HMS Graph she even later fired a torpedo towards U-333 but missed. She later ran aground on the Island of Islay of Scotland. She was broken up in 1961.

3. There is a very good book about the Graph including photos of its capture. Unfortunately I can't recall it's name. Borrowed it from the son of the author but he has moved, so unable to give you more info. Try a Google search or Amazon.com

4. My old grandfather told me the Graph was involved in D_DAY and thats when it had a pop at the U_333.

5. Thanks for that Deeps, will check it out, sounds good.

6. Don't think she got to D-Day, as she broke her tow and ran aground on Islay, West of Scotland on 20-Mar-44. Later salvaged and scrapped, after depth-charge trials were made on her hull. At the end of the war, many more modern surrendered U-boats were commissioned into the Royal Navy, often only for the purpose of investigating their systems and electronics. There would have been no point in keeping a Type VIIc when we had access to Type XXIIIs after the war.

7. Thanks for the info Geoff, it seems there is a lot of conflicting (facts) being offered. This thread is also on the ARRSE site. Anyway, every little helps.

8. Best book at the moment is 'U Boat Fact File 1935-1945 '
    by Peter Sharpe ISBN 1-85780-072-9

it details all Uboats built with sinkings and eventual fates .
    Many boats were surrendered complete and used as trials vessels .ESpecially the XXI and XXIII boats. Lots of information gained and systems copied for inclusion in the later build UK boats .

Its a good read aswell.

9. Greenie, thankyou for this most useful link a great help.
    Chalky, Thanks mate some good material, cheers.

I would dearly love to know of the whereabouts of any surviving RN crew members and or German crew. My project would be almost complete with just a word or two from THE CREWS.

10. Roister, don't know where you live however in my Submariners Association Branch at Dundee we have a German Uboat member --and various ww2 crew guys still well and spinning stories of those dark and dangerous days!

The Ubootsmann was on U-35 captured very early in the war and spent his time in captivity .
    The other guys include a Norwegian [WW2 free Navy ] Frenchman [WW2 free navy ]the usual U,S and V class boats and the early T 's.And we have an X craft crew guy aswell!!

Dundee was the home of the 9th S/m Flotilla 1940-1946. It contained the boats of the free Navy countries Poland,Holland,France and Norway.

Suggest you see the nearest Sub. Association Branch and get in ,most of them have WW2 vets as members.

11. The help and advice you guys have given is priceless, God B;ess you all. Thanks again Greenie, Top Man.

12. If you wish to read the definitive researched account of U-Boat and Allied Operation in WW11 then get the two following books written by Clay Blair a respected American Historian;

1. Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters 1939-1942
    2. Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted 1942-1945

Describes every U-Boat, patrol, sinkings, Captians, Awards, if known the destruction of U-Boat, by whom or atributed to. Jamed full of facts and figures.

His conclusion, supported by the figures, unlike most Newspaper articles, even as its worst in early 1942 the U-Boat Arm never can within spitting distance of having any outcome on the result of WW11 never sinking sufficent loaded merchant ships to effect the fighting ability of The British Isles and never seriously past the rate of new constuction.

Each book with with Appendix's come to over 800 pages each its a long read.

Nutty

13. Clay Blairs pair of books are very good operational histories, but very poor strategic histories.

He doesn't know anything about the logistics of the Atlantic War and makes elementary mistakes in dealing with the "tonnage war".

Read with extreme care.