HMS Liverpool's ensign given to a hotel.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Hermes_R12, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Liverpool just behind the Pier Head last weekend (1th). I was quite surprised to see in a display case, in the foyer, a very neatly folded triangle of the ships ensign with a display card 'as flown from HMS Liverpool during the Libya Conflict, presented by the Captain'

I know there has always been very strong links with the city but there is the new Museum of Liverpool just 600 meters away in direct line of sight to the hotel or the museums in the Royal Dockyard as an alternative.

I don't understand why an artefact like this would be presented to the Manager of the Hotel (as cited on the card) to a commercial organisation and not a recognised museum ? It doesn't sit right with me.

2. CrownePlaza.jpg

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Jack shafted by Crowne Plaza instead of Jack shafting in Crowne Plaza?

I'd suggest more people will learn of the history of HMS Liverpool in a hotel foyer than a museum.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Erm, you do realise that HMS Liverpool had more than one ensign during the Libya Conflict & probably a couple of dozen more in the store?

Every warship that visits UK cites besides baseports, hands out photographs, cap tallies & general gizzits to local organisations. Liverpool Maritime Museum is toppers with similar artefacts relating to the City's Naval association.

5. Bloody hell the rottweiler on the left Eillen Downey....ex Adelphi manageress!!!!!