HMS LION (1910): building a model need help with details

scouse

War Hero
Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, would have admired your project. I wonder if any of his offsprings are out their ??

TeeCeeCee

Lantern Swinger
That's very flatterin scouse.. but I'm realist enough to know that it's a 'pond' boat, not a museum model.

But I am trying to get it all as right as I can as I'll only ever build her once... and probably will be the last one I ever build so...

However, I did make a decison on the gratings over the hawse pipes. I put them as in the hOOD and NELSON on the resoning that every capital ship forecastle was the same basic design with maybe the differen fittings (cable holders) fro the respective builders suppliers.

But they all shared the dsame layout so...

So you wait, I'll find out in a day or so that she did have some plates lower down in the hawse pipes. :) Always the way!

scouse

War Hero
His old family home is round the corner from where i now live. Howbeck/Stapely Cheshire. It used to have two Lions mounted on the driveway walls :wink: :wink:

TeeCeeCee

Lantern Swinger
Hita Mate
Me mother does the family history and she has all those box sets of births, deaths and marriages... I'd bet she could follow the family though the decades? Well the late 1800s (1880-90 and that era)

I have an image from a book showing LION steaming 'On the 1st of June, 1916' that was credited to 'The Beatty Collection'. It found it great as it's pretty unusual to get an image dated like that. I wonder where that [the collection] ended up? As that will be a little gold mine for me. ;-) That was a good image as well as you colud see what fittings was on her, etc.

LIONon1stJune16.jpg

scouse

War Hero
Their was a lot of pictures like that in the book" The life and letters of David Beatty" if my memory serves. When the squadron was stationed in Roysth. :wink:

TeeCeeCee

Lantern Swinger
Scouse, was there any 'on deck' images? As that's what I'm short of.

At one time, I had a bit of a list of books I wanted to read on Beatty, Chatfield, etc, and on the actual ships 'With the Battle Cruisers' by Filson Young? Actually, was on Amazon last time I looked.

Anyway, I have the actual appearence of LION now, her lumps and bumps in outline, I just need on-deck images to fill out that detail.

cheers

scouse

War Hero
TeeCeeCee said:
Scouse, was there any 'on deck' images? As that's what I'm short of.

At one time, I had a bit of a list of books I wanted to read on Beatty, Chatfield, etc, and on the actual ships 'With the Battle Cruisers' by Filson Young? Actually, was on Amazon last time I looked.

Anyway, I have the actual appearence of LION now, her lumps and bumps in outline, I just need on-deck images to fill out that detail.

cheers
Sorry not sure, just remember the similar photos as yours above.

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
Just had a look in The Life and Letters book - don't think the two pictures of Lion would help much with this exercise as they are taken from Wylie paintings and don't really show any detail..

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
'Dreadnought' by Richard Hough (Michael Joseph 1965) has a number of good photographs showing upper deck detail of ships of that era. NB many ships went through various refits and modernisations which altered their appearance considerably, as director firing and other improvements became available.

There used to be a working sdcale model of a battleship focstle in the seamanship room at BRNC, I am sure you remember it Seaweed

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
Yes, it was a model of the FX of HMS Nelson .. wonder what happened to it? Perhaps somebody, somewhere is practising with its mooring swivel in his garden shed.

Latest Threads