HMS Kelly

Discussion in 'History' started by Ninja_Stoker, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Can anyone please help?

Frequently we get bizarre requests from 'old boys' at AFCOs. On the face of it a simple request- where can I get a crisp colour picture of WWII Destroyer HMS Kelly's Ship Crest?

Easy thought I, Google Images... wrong.

Any clues please gents? Your assistance much appreciated on behalf of the nephew of one of the former crew & many thanks in advance.
  2. Euch. The internet failed me as well. I feel sullied.
  3. One of the regional Phot centres might have that kind of thing, or at least know how they'd go about getting one.

Either that or the museum in Pompey, although that's more likely to be mono.
  4. Have PM'd you NS.
  5. Have you tried the Naval Historical Branch, ot the Admiralty Library in Pompey Dockyard ?
  6. We've got most ship's badges from the past 80 or years; most from the past 40 are digital files which can be printed off for the public pretty easily.

We don't make a song and dance about because we don't really have the facilities to do repro you'd get at Boots and we can't frame them or anything like that, but we can do print-outs of badges if people ask nicely - and make a donation to a naval charity.
  7. Mate, leave it with me and I will have a look when in Collingwood tomorrow. Remember, HMS Mercury and the Kelly connection?

Will take my digital camera in with me.
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Top Banana Asst Ed, me thinks you might get busy soon..... :thumright:
  9. Not me. It's the archivist who sorts out all the inquiries. :D

Perhaps I ought to warn him first... :wave:
  10. I PM'd NS and informed him of Kelly Squadron and the communicators connection. However, I wasn't sure it existed nowadays as I've left the branch and Mercs closed.
  11. Its still going of a fashion Chaz. I am sure there is a Kelly Squadron plaque or poster with HMS KELLY crest on it. I will look tomorrow morning as I said and let him know of my findings on here.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Many thanks everyone (on behalf of others). The photographs are excellent, as are the leads which will be chased-up.

If anyone's got a line drawing, so much the better, but I suspect that is all that was required.

It's surprising that such a thing wasn't readily available on t'internet, so I can understand the guy asking in the first place.

Again, thanks.
  13. Kelly squadron was the new entry lot at HMS Mercury, perhaps you could start your search there.
  14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Last time I was at Colingrad, there was a display about the loss of HMS Kelly including crew lists, photos, and a timeline - somewhere in the vicinity of FWT1 I think.

If its not on open display, then it may have been moved to the "unofficial" museum if its still going.
  15. I forgot to mention - some of the badges can be found on the RN picture database created by the Phot branch, although it's almost entirely the modern generation of ships.
  16. I have a photo of the plaque for you if you still require it. As Flagwagger said, it is on a board dedicated to HMS KELLY and Lord Louis.

Here is a copy of the photo I took this morning and I hope it is what you need Ninja.

I will PM it to you as well and if its not good enough or you no longer need, just bin it.

17. Ninja_Stoker

That's absolutely perfect- Many thanks indeed. I owe you one my good chap - I'm in the area in May, so I'll buy you a "half" of shandy! (Don't want you southerners getting giggly on anything stronger).
  18. No problems mate and I don't drink - much. :) Glad to be of service me old mucker.
  19. have you tride ts kelly the seacadet unit in heburn in the north east thay usualy have loads of pics and stuff i used to go thar and thay had pics and every things about hms kelly maby give them a call thay will probaly be able to hep its strange the navy asking foor help of the pudle pirates