HMS Jufair: Base to be re-established? Any memories/photos of pre 1971?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Jufairlad, Dec 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30355953

This maybe of interest to all who served in HMS Jufair, or 9 MCM (TON Class) or the 'The Tribal Class' frigates.

Any memories / photos of the old base? or Ships?

2. I wonder whether it'll be HMS anything, or just UKETCETC

3. Whatever it is called, I wouldn't want to be duty on the gate................

• Like Like x 1
  4. Surely this is just UKMCC under a different name? Haven't we just inaugurated a new building down by the jetty for UKMCC? I remember opening up the UKMCC when COMUKMARFOR moved ashore in 2001. It was a tent initially!

I doubt this will be anything more than rented pier space at the U.S. Navy (NSA) Bahrain. Which I thought already happened with the MCM's?

5. I understand that the Government of Bahrain (King Hamad) have offered up some money for the base. Just like his father and other Gulf Rulers tried to offer to Harold Wilson for the British not to leave back in 1971! It wont necessarily be HMS Jufair however it will be interesting!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Judging by the money being spent, I'm guessing a tent will be replaced by a hut to accommodate a 43 Cdo (FPGRM) detachment, as a Carrier will be a bit vulnerable in bandit country otherwise.

7. No this is nothing new; I think we're just formalising UKMCC as a permanent presence- ie, not based or dependent on the current operations.

Nothing new will be built get hasn't been there for donkeys. We are and will continue to work out of the US base.

It might get called something else though- maybe even get commissioned as HMS.

8. FP is done very well by the U.S. and Bahrainis.

9. Seems you did not read the article then.

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Nope - eloquent is right. This is replacing what is there, not a new site.

11. Ninja_Stoker

It would be interesting to know why it would cost £15M to use existing facilities if they aren't building anything.

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I would like to wait until PT tells me what to think.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Purple_twiglet

NS - the facilities are replacing portakabins and upgrading extant site accommodation and the like. Not much 'new' more 'better than before'.

14. Report is spin and bollix then ?.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, gotcha. Reclaimed bricks.

16. This will be a significant change. There will be full accommodation facilities and tours will be 24 months or longer and married accompanied.

Also the frigates will be fwd based there avoiding the need to return to the uk every 6-9 months. We will also be able to base and support a QE carried as and when needed.

It will be a great step change.

17. What's your source for the married accompanied and fwd basin rumors?

18. Purple_twiglet

The married quarters and forward basing for frigates is interesting spin on what will actually happen and also delightfully untrue.

Amazed at how the mess deck buzz can change things do easily!

19. This was the last I heard from am oppo at UKMCC. If it's not correct I stand corrected!!

Surely it would make sense though? You could keep a frigate out for 3 years before returning to the UK?