HMS Itonid Farid ??

Discussion in 'History' started by Cramond Brig, Aug 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am researching the WW1 Shetland Roll of Honour and one of the entries is for a Seaman who drowned in the North Sea on 6 September 1919, it says his ship was HMS Itonid Farid.

Has anyone heard of this ship and if it was actually sunk or involved in an incident on that date?

Thanks

2. Intriguing name. Not one I have come across before. Quick google only brought up the name of a Seaman A L Boyles (RNR)on a genes reunited site.

3. Yes, that's the man on the Shetland Roll. I have his details but nothing on the ship or any incident that led to his death.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Notwithstanding there have been some unbelievably ridiculous names given to warships over the years, there doesn't appear to have been an officially commissioned warship under this name.

The first word appears to relate to a species of flying insect, the second a Middle-Eastern male name. Both entirely credible given the history of more outlandish buffoonery relating to "ship naming" but it looks like it maybe an error.

5. Yes, I thought the name was strange, but I wondered if the ship was one of the Merchant vessels that was requisitioned and armed by the Admiralty during the war, hence the HMS.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's an anagram of "android tif", but I doubt that helps.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Done that. He served on Victory, Princess Margaret, Brilliant, Satellite and Island Princess, then sent to RN Hospital Haslar and removed from strength due to chronic gonorrhoea on 14/6/1917. The service record gives the drowning as 6/9/1917, so the Roll of Honour has the wrong date. I'm still guessing this was a requisitioned merchant ship.

8. No its not, you've not used all of the letters 'i'. "Or I did faint" works, not that it makes any sense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perhaps it was a code name for a floating Rose Cottage. :)
    Good luck with your research Cramond.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cramond

Can you post a link to the Shetland Roll and the gentleman in question's name, please?

11. Here you go. The compiler got the date he drownde wrong. It happened in 1917.

Shetland's roll of honour and roll of service

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

All sorts of odds and bits were commandeered by the RN in both wars, but men in the very small stuff would probably have been borne for pay on the books of some convenient base, so the name of their actual craft would not then feature on their Service certificate. And it could well be an 'Honorary' HMS awarded locally but not fully knitted into the Admiralty's process.

13. Here's the link. The author got the date wrong. Should be 1917 not 1919.

Shetland's roll of honour and roll of service

14. I suspected it might not be a RN ship.

15. Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  16. I am working with the Shetland Archives on this, but I thought I would try the 'experts' first :icon_smile:

Scotland's People does not have the death of an Andrew Boyles registered. Four deaths of Andrew Boyle registered in 1917 - none the right one.

17. Cramond

I've had the opportunity this afternoon to look at various publications.

To be honest, I think that the name of the ship is wrong, but, just in case, I've looked it up in the following places.

Navy List 1917-1918

List of Merchant Vessels Commissioned as HM Ships and Auxiliary Craft

No vessel of that name listed.

Lloyds War Losses 1914-1918

6 September 1917 - No ship of that name listed - ditto for the index

Lloyds List itself

I have read every issue for September and October 1917 and can see no mention of the ship in the Marine Casualties columns.

What perplexes me more, though, is a chapter in the Navy List titled "Officers and Men Killed In Action". The April 1918 edition lists all the casualties listed in each issue throughout the War as of December 18th 1917. Your gentleman isn't mentioned in the list at any point.

The one thing which occurs to me is whether the name of the ship is incorrect. This struck me when I was reading Lloyds List and noticed the report of a vessel sinking with casualties - the vessel's name was the Antonio Ferro - it was reported as lost in LL of Friday, September 7th 1917. I can't know whether this is relevant, but it made me wonder whether the person who created the Shetland Roll had heard of the loss of this gentleman verbally and misheard the name of the ship. At the time, he/she would have had no way of corroborating the information he/she had received, after all.

I see elsewhere that Andrew Boyles was born in about 1888 to James and Mary Ann Boyles in Belfast. He was living in Lower Lockside, Lerwick at the age of 13.

I'm happy to peruse other editions of the Navy List or Lloyds List for you if that helps.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  18. Something else.

I note that there is a modern ship listed which is called "Farid":

FARID - Vessel's Details and Current Position - 7905120 - 231306000

This ship is registered in the Faroe Islands.

If the Itonid Farid did really exist, I wonder whether that is where she was from. The Faroe Islands are not far from Shetland, after all.

I must confess to not being terribly well informed re the Faroe Islands, but you could start with their library and perhaps ask whether their local records show a suitable ship.

Ask a Librarian

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  19. Soleil

Thanks for all your help. I have contacted the Faroes Library, so we will see what comes from there. It is tempting to think that the Shetland Roll author misheard Antonio Ferro back in 1922.