HMS Iron Duke

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by jackmehearty2, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HMS Iron Duke carries a vast array of sophisticated top of the range weaponry with a crew trained to be the best warfare trained in the world--
    Yet she was engaged chasing recalcitrant Columbian and other drug -smugglers

This is surely a job for Customs and Excise with a flotilla of fast interceptors, at far less expense, to take on?
  2. Well;

a. HM Customs and Excise have no jurisdiction outside UK Waters

b. HM Customs and Excise have no ocean going ships

c. HM Customs and Excise have no helicopter equipped ships

d. HM Warships have the sensors needed to identify and track suspect traffic

e. fighting piracy and similar banditry is a Naval function
  3. At an obscene expense. Let's give Customs and Excise that role. They could stay in 5 star West Indies Hotels for less than it costs the RN to provide the service you suggest it is empowered so to do.
    If the RN is duty bound to fulfil this anti-drug-smuggling duty, why does it require such a formidable warship as Iron Duke ?
  4. Tsk tsk young sprog, quit your bleating before our Lords and Masters take one of the last remaining jollies away, I don't think it's stil called West Indies Guardship any more but trust me if you ever get the chance it's the best run left in the mob.

In short shut the feck up!
  5. They might be going to do so; Ask Mr Ainsworth" Jollies " are not long to be removed in any event --this bankcrupt country can no longer afford to provide such runs-ashore. Enjoy them while you may
  6. Please explain how savings will be made by shitcanning runs-ashore?
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

alacrity174 wrote at JMH2 (?)
    Er, 'norman' is twice your age and was in when Mountbatten was 1SL. He's had more user names on RR than you've had days on DHP. He'll probably be at Plymouth Navy Days and be back on RR to boast how he was chatting to one of the 60 Commodores (whose rank and appointments he loathes and doesn't understand) and is now the most informed, current and upper scupper chap in NATO. The reality will be that a Subby OOD told him to stop dribbling all over his deck.

My earlier insult at alacrity174 was uncalled for and I apologise for it. Norman takes tedium underpinned by igorance to an art form. Bad CO has just banned him again.
  8. Seadog

Do you have some sort of personal beef with me? If so please let me know so we can get it out of the way.
  9. Aint it because that Iron Duke can't get a Citadel, so she's useless anywhere eles in the world, other than the baltics and the Carribean?
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmmmmm,,,,, :angry7: