HMS Intrepid makes final journey

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Sep 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky

In my 20 years dont remember her doing so much sea time.
  2. Spent some time on her as embarked squadron in the Far East in the 70's. Various exercises and patrols. (Malaca Straights mainly).

Bit crowded with all the booties embarked as well, but fun.

Always a shame when an old and bold departs, especially to be scrapped.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, in my time it always seemed to be Fearless that was the preferred option & Intrepid was the one used for spares pending the arrival of Albion & Bulwark. Certainly that seemed the case since the Falklands onwards, despite the alarming amount of fires the pair used to have.

Nevertheless always sad to see a big old ship scrapped- they certainly don't build them like that anymore- I needed a ladder just to get over the hatch coamings! [​IMG]
  4. 'Bout time too…
  5. Its strange how we get all emotional with lumps of metal painted grey. I was on hermes down south & got drafted a month after we got home along with 6 other AHs. I remember we were all in the ships landrover going to the station & everyone of us had a tear in our eyes.
  6. Personally I never had a love affair with a heap of metal, well apart from my motorcar, it was the quality of the crew that made a ship for me, or not.