HMS Illustrious

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wafujack, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are we any further forward on understanding what will happen to Lusty when she is decommisioned in 2014 i know the original plan was just to sell her but i believe that changed when invincible was scrapped. I have heard of a plan to turn her into a museum on the thames anybody throw any light on this?=-\\\\\\\\
  2. Wonder if they've managed to save a Harrier to put on it when she retires
  3. Plenty of working Harriers still in use by the RN (for training), 9 or 10 the last time I looked.
  4. View topic - RAF Cottesmore Harriers revisited ..... You sure !!!!!!!! As it's not current military shouldn't these pics be in the Warbirds or Golden Oldies section? They are no longer in service with the RAF or RN and never will !!!!!
  5. As I said "used in training" not in service. If they need one to stick on display then there are plenty available to choose from is what I meant.
  6. Those aren't proper jobs, perhaps M&S makebelieve Harriers, and certainly not the ones we used down south. Those were proper Sea Harriers resplendant in their RN Livery, not adulterated by an inferior and junior service livery
  7. He's talking about the half dozen or so FA2 that live at Culdrose servicing the SFDO.

As far as Lusty goes, all that has been suggested is that she will be available for disposal as a museum, provided that a credible and well-financed plan is in place when she pays off or thereabouts. If no plan, off to Turkey, quick as you like.

A credible plan means first and foremost having a guaranteed berth in a location where there will be sufficient tourists / conference hosts etc to make it viable, which pretty much means either London or Pompey. Both locations would need some serious effort to secure that berth.

At the minute, no-one appears to be doing anything about it (publically), so unfortunately, unless there are things going on in the background, it's as you were, off to Leyals in 2016......
  8. Knowing the RN she'll either become a nice set of saucepans or used for target practice