HMS ILLUSTRIOUS to be scrapped

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Purple_twiglet, May 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

2. Never thought it would be preserved, what a shame and the end of a great era when she finally goes for scrap.
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. The skimmers I was on, sold or scraped but the nuclear boats I think will be preserved
  4. I left my favourite ever pair of steaming bats on there. That's all I've got to say about that really.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Get over it, flat top fags.

All the ships I was on have been ground down to filings. I can't understand how the carrier queens are in any way surprised this old hulk isn't about to be turned into a nightclub/brothel/shopping centre/item of curiosity/money hoover. I'm sure after the novelty has worn quickly off and the entity starts shiping debts it will go the way of the Bronnington/Plymouth/Cavalier and the taxpayer will be ransomed into baling it out.

Somewhere in fifty or sixty years there will be todays junior matelot protesting on neural facebook to park a 65000 ton carrier alongside to turn it into a theme park or summat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. All targets have to go, if they can't sell them, give them to the silent boats for target practice. They would be treated with care, kindness and respect, then kaboom and it would be all over?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. They should do a 'reverse' Type 45 construction on it.

Cut it up into 3 or 4 big lumps, then barge them round the coast, leaving bits on the seabed where the nation's divers can play and the local economy can reap the benefits of all the rich (?) divers and their families.

It would be REALLY good if one of the lumps could find its way to our local bay here in Spain.......
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A rare sight.

Three CVS at sea.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Cavalier is now at Chatham Dockyard. Bronington has sunk alongside but could still be saved I presume, maybe on of her old Captains would put up the money.
    I think that Plymouth would have been a more worthy project for saving, she did some sterling work down south from all that I have read.
  10. Had some cracking nights in 6 Hotel Po's mess :)
  11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Like the recent Messdeck antics in HMS Northumberland which were also cracking: arrse cracking?

I'll put myself on defaulters; this is Current Affairs.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Seems inconceivable that we had three 'carriers' not long ago.
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If we can't even keep Bron afloat, what hope a carrier?
  14. Best use them for target practice; I cannot see what the hype is to live on such a big target, skimmers weird lot?
  15. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. I will be visiting the fair City next month. ;)
  17. Illustrious? To be scrapped? It seems only yesterday that I chugged past her in the Solent on an Isle of Wight ferry. About 1953, I think.