HMS ILLUSTRIOUS to be scrapped

Hector

Midshipman
Never thought it would be preserved, what a shame and the end of a great era when she finally goes for scrap.

Last edited:

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Get over it, flat top fags.

All the ships I was on have been ground down to filings. I can't understand how the carrier queens are in any way surprised this old hulk isn't about to be turned into a nightclub/brothel/shopping centre/item of curiosity/money hoover. I'm sure after the novelty has worn quickly off and the entity starts shiping debts it will go the way of the Bronnington/Plymouth/Cavalier and the taxpayer will be ransomed into baling it out.

Somewhere in fifty or sixty years there will be todays junior matelot protesting on neural facebook to park a 65000 ton carrier alongside to turn it into a theme park or summat.

levers

Sumo

War Hero
All targets have to go, if they can't sell them, give them to the silent boats for target practice. They would be treated with care, kindness and respect, then kaboom and it would be all over?

They should do a 'reverse' Type 45 construction on it.

Cut it up into 3 or 4 big lumps, then barge them round the coast, leaving bits on the seabed where the nation's divers can play and the local economy can reap the benefits of all the rich (?) divers and their families.

It would be REALLY good if one of the lumps could find its way to our local bay here in Spain.......

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get over it, flat top fags.

All the ships I was on have been ground down to filings. I can't understand how the carrier queens are in any way surprised this old hulk isn't about to be turned into a nightclub/brothel/shopping centre/item of curiosity/money hoover. I'm sure after the novelty has worn quickly off and the entity starts shiping debts it will go the way of the Bronnington/Plymouth/Cavalier and the taxpayer will be ransomed into baling it out.

Somewhere in fifty or sixty years there will be todays junior matelot protesting on neural facebook to park a 65000 ton carrier alongside to turn it into a theme park or summat.

levers
Cavalier is now at Chatham Dockyard. Bronington has sunk alongside but could still be saved I presume, maybe on of her old Captains would put up the money.
I think that Plymouth would have been a more worthy project for saving, she did some sterling work down south from all that I have read.