HMS Illustrious - Royal Navy Static Park??????????

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dumb-Blonde, Oct 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi – I know I’m probably living up to my user name but could someone tell me what ‘Royal Navy Static Park’ is please????

I wanted to go and see HMS Illustrious tomorrow, booked a day off work, even managed to persuade Royal Marine son to drive up from Plymouth so I didn’t have to go on my own, and I’ve just been checking the list of events and I’ve got my days mixed up – (yup I know I’m stupid!) and Illustrious is open to the public on Sunday and Monday, not tomorrow, but I’m working Sunday and son will be back in Plymouth on Monday.

Just spoken to my son and he hasn’t got a clue what ‘Royal Navy Static Park’ is either – so could somebody please enlighten us both?

Thank you

PS - just checked my registration details - it says I'm a 'midshipman' - How do I get rid of it - how do I get rid of it. Don't even know what a 'midshipman' is......... :cry:
  2. A static park is a park where nothing moves.

In this case, the aircraft are parked, and you walk round them.

Midshipman is a fine an honourable rank, though few holding it get close to living up to it.
  3. The Royal Naval Static Display is in Portsmouth Dockyard called "Up the trot"Ships awaiting disposal etc :wink:
    Another interpretation on a serious note is a Static Display consisting of various information displays refreshment venues, exhibitions of aircraft etc alongside the main event. PM "Scouse" who is in the know about this visit.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

DB: Welcome to Rum Ration... :thumbleft:

This link might be of interest to you, which gives details of HMS Illustrious' programme over the weekend:

Static Park refers to various displays set up on board, to demonstrate the various aspects of the Royal Navy, such as aircraft ranged on deck, etc. There will also be live air displays above Albert Docks.

As for your registration details, "Midshipman" is the most junior officer rank in the RN; it refers to the number of posts that you contribute to the site - the more you post, the higher your rank (you can improve this also by making a donation to the website - details on the home page). But like many things, people will judge you according to the quality of your posts and not necessarily the quantity... :wink:

Keep posting, and don't take the more 'colourful' remarks from other members to heart - you will need a good sense of humour here, but just dive in and it'll be worth it in the end (and I am sure you're not as dumb as you may claim..!) :lol:
  5. Yesterday I waited for lusty to come into the river I then follwed her into the docks on my bike. It got me so excited thinking that in a few years time I could be standing on that deck coming down the river Mersey. Today I went to see the flypast it was fantastic. I'm hopefully going aboard on Sunday to get a real taste :)
  6. Thank you :)

That’s great – will still be worth seeing. Someone had already told me that if there were any aircraft on display – I’d be impressed, so I will drag RM son along and he can be suitably impressed too!

Am sure Midshipman is indeed a fine and admirable rank, but my only link to the RN is my RM son and it feels kind of wrong to have ‘Midshipman’ in my details – I wouldn’t want to offend anybody.
  7. Quite the contrary. I think its quite an honour to have you aboard, you have obviously instilled your values into your son. Hope you enjoy the visit, and continue to use the site :wink: .
  8. On static One Sea King, One Wessex,and one Lynx, :wink: :wink: :wink: No such thing as a Dumb Blonde, they are sexy and Intelligent :wink:
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those visiting the static park tomorrow will be enthralled to hear, none other than myself will be working in the now legendary static park - shipped in especially for the event at great expense.

Look out for the extremely good looking but miserable bloke, alternating between the Merlin simulator & the interactive touch-screen careers thingy trailer - that'll be me. :wink:
  10. Ovies and wheelspanner then. :)
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Mais Oui.

Right-angled torch in starboard thigh pocket.
  12. What is flying tomorrow[Sunday] I missed the details for Friday with being in Scotsmanshire. Due to be going on walkabout tomorrow in deepest Cheshire back to the land of the Leprechauns on Friday.
  13. Wow! Must be some bike. 8O Mine only works on the road! :roll:

14. Today's display is at 1130-1230 and then its Ship Open To Visitors until 1700.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Pretty picture time (follow the link):

The queue for Ninja stoker's autograph

....OK, reality check: The queue, from the halfway point, for HMS Illustrious ship open to visitors (SOTV) earlier today (@14:00) - the "On gangway" was the after brow.
  16. I'm hopefully going on her today, I'm getting there for 9.30 do you think the que will be big ? I'm excited hope I don't have to wait long I've got to go to work
  17. Ninja_Stoker

I'm guessing it won't be as busy if you arrive early.

Obviously it's half term this week & bear in mind that photograph was only the Evertonian queue - the Liverpudlians had just settled down to watch Manchester United crushed, beachballs included, when the photo above was taken.
  18. Did the ship carry out a 100 percent stores check after letting all those scousers aboard? :)
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

They are still looking for the ship