HMS Illustrious - New TV series

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SILVER_FOX, Apr 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Not entirely certain if this is the right forum to put this one under but for your collective information - Granada TV are currently filming a six part documentary onboard ILLUSTRIOUS which is due to air on Channel 5 from the 16th April.

Some links (there are probably better ones out there).

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6940

http://www.merrymedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6099&Itemid=196

It’s all happening again …..

SF

2. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

go to The fleet air arm / the mighty lusty returns to port :thumright: :angel12:

3. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

It is going to be filmed in harbour complete with computergraphics to simulate sea time.

4. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Ouch!! She has been at sea since 21 Jan mate.

SF

5. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Hmmm? didn't a series called 'Warship' be televised during the 80s featuring a real life frigate (F42 ?) posing as a fictional one called 'HMS Hero' ?

And we also had one about the Ark Royal ...

Don't have much imagination in production titles do they, these Granada TV people ?

I'll give it a go, I wonder if they will also be using 'Sailing' as a theme again, (I'm sure Rod Stewart would be very pleased for the copyright proceeds again ;) )... ??

I also hope, that the characters are real, and not actors trying to portray 'real' life aboard a grey funnel liner - the brief in the website doesn't really give much detail yet.

:)

6. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

The RN website gives a short precis of the individuals they're focusing on.

Mind you, what a novelty, telling the story of the ship by concentrating on a handful of personalities ;) Like that's never been done before!

7. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

WOW I'm impressed, seems to overshadow the days when ships sailed from Guzz to the Fez and returned some two years later. However in those far off days the ships company could and were expected to rectify defects without calling in the civvie contractors.
    Bring back better and deeper training and today's sailors could also do the job themselves.
    It's not today's sailors that are responsible for the inability to repair the ship, it's not modern technology, it's the cut back in training.

8. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

In those days Slim we have less technology to go wrong and more personnel to fix it when it did.

To answer Whitemouse I can confirm that the characters are real members of the ships company. It is not fictional, it is documentary.

SF

9. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

I saw the names listed, but I wasn't sure if they are real 'characters' - you know the rep that the media people have for showing us what they term as 'real' people .... ;)

:)

10. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Don't forget the tight fisted two faced gits in government !!
    But then they need the money for their TV licences these days .... :lol:

Cheers also SF :thumright:

11. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Now, now Whitemouse, you cannot expect modern recruits to spend 17 months training to be a JRO only to leave the service after completing their baby sailor time onboard. We could teach more self-reliance were we to follow our European neighbours and introduce a period of sail training after basic.... but then that would cost money...

12. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Only 4 characters? Why not the wider ships company as with Sailor? I think someone should have his monosock hanging up by his pit, stiffly standing to attention.... :lol:

13. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

What was great about Sailor, and why it trumped Brilliant was that we didnt get annoying voiceover, unfortunately we will probably get some idiot doing a pointless patronising narration. by the way both Guzz ships.

If its going to titled WARSHIP, why they filming it on a pompey jolly boat.

14. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

don't forget these top blokes also claim their TV Licences back on expenses !!!

15. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

You lot are lucky, we have a whole TV channel dedicated to the Military. Twenty-four hours, seven days a week of information fuel for the little boys to use when playing airsoft.

The level of military expertise has now got the claim, "I saw it on the Military channel, so I know what I'm on about."

To be fair, the Canadian side of the channel did do a bang up doc on HMCS Winnipeg and a show called, Truth, Duty, Valour.

16. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Niner. I watch the Mil channel quite a bit during other boring bits. The coupla progs on Carriers was very very good and all you sprogs that have never been on a deck whilst doing night take offs at full after burner...

Warship of course was fictional HMS Hero............Phoebe really as well as another whose name escapes me as I was a Rothesay class man then. Sailor was mega brill, last deployment of the Ark and Brilliant never saw it

17. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

spent a longer time than that in a NAAFI queue / oppo :thumright: :angel12:

18. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

19. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

But the other half of the equation is manning ... or the lack of it. I mean look - there are only four members left in the ships company for Granada to interview.

Seriously though there are stacks more characters. The site only lists four.

SF

20. Re: REMEMBER SAILOR? MEET WARSHIP

Are you one of the 4 SF?

HMS Hero was filmed on HMS Juno in the early 70's before I was on it 76 - 78, not the 80's