Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Illustrious: Lebanon Op.

Good to see the wardroom on the telly helping with the luggage. I suppose the next stores ship/gash ditching they will leading from the front, or is it only when the cameras are about?

Must admit not much sympathy though, when you are looking for a place to live abroad I figure Beirut, Baghdad, N Korea, Nigeria are just a handfull to be avoided. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING????
Dumb dumb dumb

Lingyai said:
Must admit not much sympathy though, when you are looking for a place to live abroad I figure Beirut, Baghdad, N Korea, Nigeria are just a handfull to be avoided. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING????
Dumb dumb dumb

On the other hand you live in a country which is certainly not one where government stability is guaranteed.

Peter

Today's Telegraph!!

Has anyone seen the front cover of today's DT?

Some may think this petty, but I'm pretty annoyed. They have printed a large(ish) picture of a marine stood at the bottom of a gangway of a warship, whilst in the background, civilians climb up on board whilst sailor's mingle about. They have given this picture, the caption "British citizens board HMS Gloucester in Beirut".

The ship, the civilians, the sailors and the marine are Greek!

This I expect from the current bun, to print sh1te like that in the hope that their readership will not know any better, but not the Daily Telegraph.
Any ideas who I could e-mail to complain? I'm really p1ssed off about this.

Re: Today's Telegraph!!

Yet another own goal by the media and one they perform on a daily basis and little they care as long as it sells the paper.

Squirrel said:

Some may think this petty, but I'm pretty annoyed. They have printed a large(ish) picture of a marine stood at the bottom of a gangway of a warship, whilst in the background, civilians climb up on board whilst sailor's mingle about. They have given this picture, the caption "British citizens board HMS Gloucester in Beirut".

This I expect from the current bun, to print sh1te like that in the hope that their readership will not know any better, but not the Daily Telegraph.

Try:

Contacting The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph

Please use the email addresses below to send your email. Please send your email once only to the appropriate section. If you are sending a letter to the Editor of The Daily Telegraph or The Sunday Telegraph, please use the correct link below. Please do not send general enquiries, press releases or enquiries about promotions to Editors.

Letters for publication in The Daily Telegraph can be sent to [email protected]

Always_a_Civvy said:
Squirrel said:

Try:

Contacting The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph

Please use the email addresses below to send your email. Please send your email once only to the appropriate section. If you are sending a letter to the Editor of The Daily Telegraph or The Sunday Telegraph, please use the correct link below. Please do not send general enquiries, press releases or enquiries about promotions to Editors.

Letters for publication in The Daily Telegraph can be sent to [email protected]

thanks mate, appreciated.

Isralie terrorists? Wind your neck in Max. Israel is not targeting British civilians, apart from those dumb enough to live in a country controlled by terrorists. And they deserve everything they get.
As long as Israel restricts itself to killing Arabs(or Persions)they are not terrorists.
If Israels slots every man, woman and child in Lebanon, Syria and Iran, I won't lose a moments sleep. Just as long as the oil keeps flowing and the winds don't blow the fallout in my direction.

Bisley said:
Just heard on SKY news that HMS York is going in to get the needy ozzies out next. While i have no objection to helping our needy cousins out, isnt't ironic the ozzies and rest of our commonwealth countries slag of the UK until they want something. (I will standby for a barrage abuse!!)

But i agree with Hackin Jack, HM Government are damn lucky the RN task force was just heading home after the med/middle east exercise. I would love to know what they would have done otherwise. Oh yeh nothing.

I wish I could run this by my Uncle, who spent a significant amount of time in the 1940's in a bomber helping to bail out Britain, when he could have been better employed at home. However, this sort of tit-for-tat is pointless.

These people being evacuated are not Australians, they are Lebanese who happen to hold Australian citizenship. Just ask them, in any other circumstance they will describe themselves as Lebs, however as the Leb government wont help them they are suddenly loyal Australians demanding aid. As far as I and most other Australians are concerned we should just leave the bastards there. As has been metioned already, of toy are stupid enough to live/holiday in a third world shithole like Lebanon why should the government of your country of convenient citzenship bail you out.

It seems the Aust government has hired a ferry to take these bastards to Cyprus, but that is still not enough according to the Lebs in Australia who are still whinging, conveniently forgetting that many of the delays are occurring due to their Islamic brothers demanding huge bribes to allow passage to Syria and other safer places.

It is good to see the boys and girls taking charge out there. Did anyone else know the CO Lusty was a commodore? Fort the CO of the captial ships were all Capts?

just thought I would pop a reminder that there is more to the grey funnel line than the big big grey feckers.
the Sweepers will be there to clear a passage, as they were at FI and every other fecking hole that decides to cause a 'conflict', (we dont have wars these days, do we?) .

good luck to all involved and safe passage home

ThePunisher said:
Isralie terrorists? Wind your neck in Max. Israel is not targeting British civilians, apart from those dumb enough to live in a country controlled by terrorists. And they deserve everything they get.
As long as Israel restricts itself to killing Arabs(or Persions)they are not terrorists.
If Israels slots every man, woman and child in Lebanon, Syria and Iran, I won't lose a moments sleep. Just as long as the oil keeps flowing and the winds don't blow the fallout in my direction.

It is always nice to get contributions from those with such a generous spirit.

Peter

jesse650 said:
It is good to see the boys and girls taking charge out there. Did anyone else know the CO Lusty was a commodore? Fort the CO of the captial ships were all Capts?

In the old days they would have ceased being commodores and reverted to the rank of captain, but since they created the permanent rank of commodore they still need those guys to drive CVSs and LPHs, so they remain commodores but have local acting rank as captains. The ILLUSTRIOUS and the OCEAN have local acting captains. OCEAN wears captain's rank slides on board though.

Latest Threads