HMS Illustrious final homecoming

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by AuldYin, Jul 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some pics that I took today.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not really an issue as we can always borrow the French one if we need one
  3. Farewell old bird. Had some fun on her.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Was always my favourite

Will be a sad day when she gets towed off to Turkey

Wouldn't mind a £ for every chit I wrote in 6H
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. Not that I'm an expert on these things but as she is still under way, why is she flying the jack plus 2 white ensigns and no paying off pennant?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I joined her at Swan Hunter in 82 a week before sailing down the Tyne with shipyard workers still working below decks.
    I heard a radio interview with a WO still serving on her today who was in the same mess as me in 82
  7. AAF

AAF Badgeman

• Like Like x 1
  8. WreckerL asks a very good question. Buggered if I know the answer.
  9. God knows? I was a Wafu, only flag I looked for was Foxtrot, that determined if it was an early chop or not?
  10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dressed overall at sea.
  11. She was flying a paying off pennant - just visible in the top two piccies. Nice to see so many turned out and good to see a 736 Hawk and the RNHF Sea Fury as well.

Funnily enough, she's still running engines alongside SJ this morning.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I managed to catch the newly completed blocks for Prince of Wales, the RN's newest carrier, being towed past Lusty on their way from Portsmouth to Rosyth yesterday afternoon.

POW blocks being towed past Lusty 22 Jul 2014a med.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Thanks SF and NaB, that makes sense and I couldn't make out the paying off pennant on any of the phots.
  14. Wrecks. If you see the first photo. Look at the wake and you'll see a white line going up towards the transom my 'andsome. follow that up and you'll see the rest of it :)
  15. I've pinged it now dappers, must admit, being a nugget I thought the line from the stern to the wet wobbly stuff was a mark on the photo :tard:
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014