HMS Houghton

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Chatting to a bloke recently who turned out to be ex-RN and had served in HMS Houghton in FES during confrontation. He told me that just before he joined her, a killick had shot the coxswain. The odd thing about this is that although I was out there at about the same time (in HMS London) I never heard about this at the time. The internet seems to be quite silent about it. Any RR know anything about this incident?

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Thanks, that looks about right. I came back into Spore in Loch Fada from Tawau (I had been lent for two weeks) on 22nd and can't work out how I didn't hear about this.

I'd forgotten about naval-history.net. Must do better.

I am always keen to spread the word about the National Memorial Arboretum, the Roll of Honour and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's database to those seeking information about deceased service personnel.

The Roll of Honour contains this entry for Petty Officer Masters:

[TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]
Surname​
[/TD]
[TD]MASTERS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Forenames/Initials​
[/TD]
[TD]Gordon Frederick[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Rank​
[/TD]
[TD]PO(A)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Service​
[/TD]
[TD]Royal Navy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Service Number​
[/TD]
[TD]JX 855477[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Ship​
[/TD]
[TD]HMS Houghton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Date of Birth[/TD]
[TD]06 February 1931[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Age[/TD]
[TD]34[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
Date of Death​
[/TD]
[TD]21 April 1965[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cemetery Name[/TD]
[TD]Ulu Pandan Grave 7, Plot 2B Row D[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cemetery Address[/TD]
[TD]Singapore[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Included on Armed Forces Memorial[/TD]
[TD]Yes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Included on Roll of Honour[/TD]
[TD]Yes[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

HMS Houghton (M1211) had a relatively short but eventful life. This is some of her operational history from Jacks of all Trades - Operational Records of TON Class minesweepers and minehunters:

29 Sep-9 Oct 58: Passage to Malta
25 Oct-4 Nov 58: Deployed to Aqaba to cover withdrawal of British troops from Jordan
22 Jan-10 Mar 59: First Cyprus Patrol (Stand-off Beirut)
9 Sep 59: Transferred to 104th MSS [Minesweeper Squadron] as Senior Officer
21 Oct - 30 Nov 59:
Passage to Singapore with WOODBRIDGE HAVEN
1960-61: Exercises and Visits in South China Sea
14-20 Apr 61: Live Mine Clearance Operation off North Borneo
May & Aug 61: Anti-Piracy Patrols off North Borneo
Dec 61-Jul 63: Confrontation Patrols - Brunai & Sarawak
Apr/May 63: Embarked 60 Gurkhas & 2 Land Rovers at Kapit for 160 mile passage down River Rajang to Kuching
1964: 5 patrols in Sarawak and 2 in Singapore Straits
1965: 11 Singapore Straits patrols, 1 Sarawak & 1 Tawau
11 Feb 65: Arrest of one fishing craft in Singapore Straits
1966: 3 Singapore Straits patrols, 2 Sarawak & 1 Tawau
1967-Jun 1969: Exercises and Visits in S. China Sea Area
Jul-Dec 1969: Return to UK eastabout with WILKIESTON (via Darwin, New Guinea, Solomon Islands (4 visits), Vanuata (5 visits), Fiji (14 visits), Tonga, Tarawa, Pearl Harbour, California (3 visits), Mexico, Panama Canal, Jamaica, Bermuda, Azores, Oporto, UK (22,000 miles in 5 1/2 months)

We had one at Lossiemouth at the caravan site. PO Cook Aitken, in the 60s who was stabbed and died. Slim will know of him!!! AITKEN, William Y J, Petty Officer Cook, M 947989, died

Last edited:
We had one at Lossiemouth at the caravan site. PO Cook Aitken, in the 60s who was stabbed and died. Slim will know of him!!! AITKEN, William Y J, Petty Officer Cook, M 947989, died
Didn't know him but I lived on the site were he was killed, Muirton Caravan site.
He was knifed by a jealous husband, (the wife still lived at the caravan site during my time there 1968/69).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LancashireHussar Current Affairs 8
Jenny_Dabber History 38
Jenny_Dabber Bases / Shore Est 31