HMS Houghton

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Oct 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Chatting to a bloke recently who turned out to be ex-RN and had served in HMS Houghton in FES during confrontation. He told me that just before he joined her, a killick had shot the coxswain. The odd thing about this is that although I was out there at about the same time (in HMS London) I never heard about this at the time. The internet seems to be quite silent about it. Any RR know anything about this incident?
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Do you have a rough date Seaweed?
  3. MASTERS, Gordon F, Petty Officer (A), JX 855477, died HMS Houghton ???? 21 st April 65
  4. Seaweed

Thanks, that looks about right. I came back into Spore in Loch Fada from Tawau (I had been lent for two weeks) on 22nd and can't work out how I didn't hear about this.

I'd forgotten about Must do better.
  5. I am always keen to spread the word about the National Memorial Arboretum, the Roll of Honour and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's database to those seeking information about deceased service personnel.

The Roll of Honour contains this entry for Petty Officer Masters:

6. HMS Houghton (M1211) had a relatively short but eventful life. This is some of her operational history from Jacks of all Trades - Operational Records of TON Class minesweepers and minehunters:

7. Certainly would have loved to have been on her return voyage to the UK
    what mega runs
  8. Seaweed

The Times has it:

so that was a true bill from the bod I was talking to.
  9. Nearly.

Seems that he confused the MO - he told you 'shot' but the MAA/Cox'n was actuarily 'stabbed'. :wink:
  10. We had one at Lossiemouth at the caravan site. PO Cook Aitken, in the 60s who was stabbed and died. Slim will know of him!!! AITKEN, William Y J, Petty Officer Cook, M 947989, died
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. Didn't know him but I lived on the site were he was killed, Muirton Caravan site.
    He was knifed by a jealous husband, (the wife still lived at the caravan site during my time there 1968/69).