HMS Hood.

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Stirling, Dec 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Already set to record, but thanks for the heads up Stirl.

2BM

2. Bump..............

3. Talking of the Hood, many moons ago when I was drafted as the Mess Manager in barracks the Hood Association held a function in the mess and the Associations Pres gave me a Hood tie; it is now one of my treasured possessions.

001.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I was hoping that the TV programme would compare the way that HMS Hood was sunk to the way HMS Indefatigable and HMS Queen Mary in Vice Admiral Beatty's squadron exploded in the Battle of Jutland, and whether there was a common factor in ship design or handling the explosives. But I suppose there just wasn't enough evidence in the wreckage to come to that sort of detailed conclusion

5. I think Beatty's problems were more to do with the fact they over rode the flash door interlocks so they could get ammunition up faster.

6. Nice to see my old DO put in his twopenneth..........RIP Ted Briggs.

7. Although I had seen it before many years ago it was still a shock to see Barham go up the way she did.

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The father of a friend of ours was lost in the Hood, and one of my Captains had been a Mid in PoW and told me he had a chunk of one of Prinz E's shells in his attic. I also encountered two other people who had been in PoW - one was the Director of ASWE who had been a semi-civilian radar operator (Not me Chief, I'm Radar) in PoW and the other was the boss of the Vickers team trying to get Tiger's new 6" to work (they didn't), who had been in PoW in a more junior capacity trying to get her new 14" turrest to work 9they didn't wither).

I was disappointed by the programme although I appreciate that compressing the story and the expedition into 45 minutes was not easy. The reference to the Clarkson cases being made of brass put me off - they were made of leather initially for the main armament of capital ships although some 6" cases were made of cardboard (which I doubt would survive 71 years in salt water). That howler, together with a rather slapdash summary (with egregious errors) of the hunt, and total failure to mention Hood not receiving the refit she was supposed to have had before the war, made me immediately suspicious of every statement that followed. Equally there was no explanation of the need to close the enemy rapidly so as to receive fire more horizontally, and no discussion of the way our fire was concentrated initially on Prinz E owing to recognition difficulties in the poor light.

The conclusions seemed glib and the diagrams ambiguous and difficult to follow. Nevertheless it was a very interesting programme, but one had to draw one's own conclusons.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Was this refit to fit extra armour plating on the decks above magazines ?, agree with you on the content of prog, some supposition there.

10. Seaweed

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

11. Thanks......................

12. Ted Briggs

What ship were you on? Lt Briggs was the Signal Officer on the Loch Killisport. A proper Gentleman.

13. He was my DO Thrice.............'62 at Mercury .............'66 at Whitehall...........'69 at Ganges......and I concur... a gent. :salute:

14. Thread wobble - sorry.
    MY Great Uncle in law is ex POW (5" gun crew) and still with us - just. He has never mentioned the problems with the main armament. Were they resolved before the POW joined Force Z?

15. Seaweed

I imagine Vickers sorted things out eventually and the turrets were certainly working when a later work colleague of mine was a Mid on the bridge of KGV when she fired the last bombardment at Japan. For Force Z it was of course the AA armament that mattered. The Captain I referred to was rescued from PoW and appointed to HMS Exeter which was sunk in the Battle of the Java Sea. He spent the rest of the war in Changi as I understood from third parties - he never opened up to his officers about that side of things and of course one could not possibly ask. After eighteen months in command he was relieved in New Zealand, and we were given to understand that it was because command tours were rationed to give more officers a try-out - BUT from NZ we were on our way to Japan ..

No speculation on here about names, please, as I believe the gentleman (and I use that word deliberately) is still alive.