HMS Hood. Search for her Bell.

Discussion in 'History' started by trelawney126, Jul 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You talking to yourself Tre??????????

2. On the face of it, seems no real reason as to why it should not be recovered. It appears to be seperate from the main hulk, so would not cause any desecration, in terms of naval history, it would be suitably displayed.

3. Agreed ... seems the bell is somewhere off the stern however according to the report (OK it is the Wail so must be taken with a very large pinch of salt) the "bodies and bones are long gone" so wouldn't be disturbed. That being said it is a war grave so must be protected but so long as they can receover it without entering the ship then fine. It would make a fitting memorial in PHD.

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If this lot don't lift the bell some aqua-pikeys will be after it and much else, and I think a berth in the RN Museum where it will be treated with proper respect sounds about right. That will also mean that those who lost relatives in Hood can go and see the bell.

5. Rather a fitting tribute to all the men who perished at sea. I hope they can pull it off, doubtless to say the Naval museum will display it accordingly.

6. Any one seen Rummers lately?????????????

7. Nah don't need it, I told Wrecker, the NHS blinked.
    Game over.:D

8. That would be the search for the bell end

• Like Like x 1
  9. But you need to come to the "hood" to find me.
    White trash.

10. ...and pull it off they did:

• Bell of HMS Hood finally been recovered from depths of the North Atlantic
    • Follows expedition led by billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen
    • Bell will now be shown at National Museum of Royal Navy in Portsmouth
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3191677/HMS-Hood-s-bell-lifted-Atlantic-seabed-74-years-sunk-battle-leading-death-1-415-navy-personnel.html#ixzz3iPGWjJn0

Mixed reactions from those who comment on such stories, personally I agree with the First Sea Lord Admiral Sir George Zambellas who said: 'The recovery of the Ship's Bell will help ensure the 1,415 men lost, and the name Hood, will always be remembered by a grateful nation'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3191677/HMS-Hood-s-bell-lifted-Atlantic-seabed-74-years-sunk-battle-leading-death-1-415-navy-personnel.html#ixzz3iPHzpJF1

Edit to add - Coverage at DT indicates that Ted Biggs had often hoped the mighty ship’s bell could be salvaged from the seabed as a fitting memorial:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ered-from-seabed-by-Microsoft-co-founder.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  11. There is a former RN WO1 serving onboard Paul Allens yacht, unable to give name due to persec.. So we could say the RN helped...

12. Persec understood.

Suggest henceforth he/she answers to the honorary nickname of 'Dinger'.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Personally I think the exhibition of the bell in public view but in a place where it can be properly safeguarded is a very proper memorial. If it had been left on the ocean bed, sooner or later it would have been lifted by someone who would not treat it with proper respect, which will eventually happen to other things down there as the diving technology becomes more affordable - which WILL happen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Some historical images.

World%20Cruise245.jpeg
    World%20Cruise008%20-%20Hood.jpeg
    World%20Cruise052.jpeg World%20Cruise280.jpeg World%20Cruise306.jpeg World%20Cruise294.jpeg World%20Cruise146.jpeg special-squadron-visit-victoria.jpeg

• Like Like x 1