Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by mrskpickles, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI THERE,

I found a picture on the official HMS Hood site, and the three men in the picture look like my grandad, and one of the others looks like a man that is in one of MY pics of Grandad. Therefore I am convinced he served on Hood.

My Great uncle terry told me that Grandad was on a big famous ship, something to do with the Bismarck (although he couldnt have been on that one!). He said that Grandads ship sunk and there were only a couple of survivors, but Grandad was off the ship with a stomach illness at the time...therefore escaped the sinking.

SO all of the above tells me that he could have been on HMS Hood.

Does anyone have relatives who served and perhaps you have pictures??? My grandad was called Robin John McCormick, known as Mac (original!!). He served between 1940-41 and 1945 and was stoker.

The other man in the picture that I think is of my gramps is Jack Silk, the photo I HAVE of him, the man with Grandad looks like Jack anyone know Jack Silk??

Please help if you can. my family are refusing to give me grandads service uncle has them, and because I got cross with him once his is holding on to them.....idiot!!! I cant send off for them becuase I cant get the next of kins auth!!!

Thank you

2. NB- My grandad is not on the list on HMS Hood site, and I have contacted the man who runs it and he says I need to find out for definite that he served on hood before he can help me.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

My mates great uncle served as a Bootie on the Hood, family tradition says that the DSM he was awarded was for being one of the Hood survivors....I have tried to do a little research and can't see him being on the Hood when it was sunk. He also got awarded a Greek medal, I dont know if it is bravery award.

Anyhow as the rest of the family all has military connections we got in touch with the Corps museum to donate his medal collection to them and they refused them....something to do with insurance in case the family wanted them back, so we said "fair enough how about buying them for a quid?", they still turned it down, sad really as they're an interesting collection.
  4. I know one survivor off the HOOD, his name is Ted Briggs and he sometimes pops into Collingwood and I occasionally see him around Fareham.

If I bump into him, I shall try and remember the name and ask him. Not sure he will remember him though as Ted is obviously getting on a bit himself now.
  5. The easiest way to confirm whether your grandad served in HMS Hood is to obtain a copy of his service record. The Veterans Agency website contains the necessary advice and forms for doing this.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

From memory the three survivors from the Hood were Briggs, Dundas and Tilburn of whom only Briggs was alive up to a couple of years ago (I don't know if he still is)
  7. There were FOUR survivors, Ted is the last. In my at school in Fareham there where many children whose Fathers were in the Portsmouth manned HOOD; not much was said a school about the sinking but many children did not show up for days, makes one realise the futility of war.
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've checked the HMS Hood association website and my mates bootie uncle doesn't appear in any crew lists, but it does say that the records are incomplete. I reckon he did serve on Hood......thousands did....but he wasn't on it when she was sunk.They think he is a survivor, and he's got a DSM to boot...who am I to burst their bubble? He was obviously awarded it for something and a throw away comment like .."I was on the Hood" has clearly gone into my mates family tradition.
  9. thank you everyone..kirstie