Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Hood (1920 - 1941)

HOOD currently lays at 2,800FT in the Denmark Strait, split into two large pieces, surround by substantial debris fields. There are many great books on the subject, but the actual discovery of both HOOD and BISMARCK can be found in HOOD and BISMARCK, the deep sea discovery of an epic battle by David Mearns and Rob White, who were involved in the channel 4 documentary. A good website to try is:
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001expedition/hood/wreckplaque.html

thanks unclean, have seen this before, but it is very interesting. Particularly considering the evidence from the wreck etc. Much obliged.

OldJenny said:
I only have my ex husband's word (!!) for it but he said he met Ted Briggs on the Phoebe. Maybe he wasn't on there for the whole commission.

Anyway I went to the Hood's Association dinner on Saturday at the Royal Home club. Ted was there. He is the last surviving member now as the other chap died last year.
I took a photo and also a couple of a 1/200 scale model of the Hood.
One veteran there was 107 years old. A lovely bloke.

I'll try and download the photos and post them here.

Ah, having read the other posts on this thread then I have done my ex a disfavour. He was on the Loch Killisport in the Far East so it was there not the Phoebe.

charlieoppo said:
Crabman said:
Thanks for the info Blood. Maybe I should have got more details from my uncle whilst I had the chance, but seeing as he died many years ago that could now be difficult.

Does anyone know at what depth the Hood is lying? The Bismark is apparently at about 3000 metres and looks to be in quite good nick (one previous owner, low mileage), although not quite seaworthy.

Are there any details/photos available of the Hood's final resting place?
look on the hood association website, theres quite bit on the expedition a few years ago to find the wreck ,which they did http://www.hmshood.com/

I only have my ex husband's word (!!) for it but he said he met Ted Briggs on the Phoebe. Maybe he wasn't on there for the whole commission.

Anyway I went to the Hood's Association dinner on Saturday at the Royal Home club. Ted was there. He is the last surviving member now as the other chap died last year.
I took a photo and also a couple of a 1/200 scale model of the Hood.
One veteran there was 107 years old. A lovely bloke.

I'll try and download the photos and post them here.
My ex husband served with Ted Briggs on the Phoebe from 66-68.

My Dad served on the Hood from 38-40.
Who was your ex-husband OJ? I was on the Phoebe from 1966-68 (the first commission - commissioned in Glasgow).

The ships bell was recovered from the wreck site and is now in the RN museum in Pompey.
I met Ted Briggs at the annual memorial service in Boldre, Hampshire. managed to have a chat with him at the end of the service. He served with my grandfather (Yeoman) in the same department during the Bismark action.349105FE00000578-3607165-image-a-22_1464107373951.jpg

Latest Threads