HMS Grindall

Discussion in 'History' started by Metman, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple of weeks before Christmas I posted a request seeking the names of two RN ships used as weather ships in the run-up to D-day (

Unfortunately no-one was able to help, but I've since learnt that one of them was HMS Grindall, a lease-lend frigate that served with the Royal Navy from June 1943 until September 1945.

Would anyone be able to help with details of this ship, or have a photo - or suggest where I might find its log?

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You should bump your thread during the week mate. Your original thread prob slid off the top 50 page over the weekend, and folk with maybe an answer missed it. Good luck.
  3. Many thanks one and all, very helpful and much appreciated. As sod's law would have I think I might have traced, via a newspaper item, the officer responsible for Grindall's met observations during the run-up to D-day. I hope I'm correct, but if I am it's a pure fluke.

Again my thanks for your quick responses.

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

HM Ship's logs should all end up in the National Archives at Kew.
  5. Again, my thanks. I'm having trouble with the NA website at the moment, but thank you for confirming that is their resting place.

6. Just to complete the story from my point of view, I have made contact with the officer responsible for the Grindall's weather observations, Henry Curry. He tells me the second ship was HMS Hoste, but that was positioned halfway between Iceland and the southern tip of Greenland not, as I thought, near the Azores.

My reason for believing there was a southern observing ship was that its observations when plotted on a weather map were always in the same general location and identified by the word "WANTAC" - the same word that identified the Grindall's observations. Haven't a clue what it means.