HMS Gloucester Rugby

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by simonjgriffithshr, Nov 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This Friday, I'm playing for my club (Old Cryptians) against HMS Gloucester. Should be quite interesting, under flood-lights - and also probably the last chance I'll get to play (other than our WWIII match on Boxing Day) before I join on January 2nd.

So, does anyone know if HMS Gloucester's team are any good (because we certainly aren't!).

2. Ships' Teams and amateur clubs are invariably of a similar standard - so it probably depends who has a better day on the day - if that makes sense :?

Regardless, have a good day - my money's on the Fighting G winning the third half....

3. I will come and play for you !!

4. Okay, we were mis-informed by our fixtures secretary. We were actually playing HMS Collingwood. (Confusion arose because apparantly they have a number of players who are actually from Gloucester :? ).

Anyway, we won 12-0 in conditions that weren't the best shall we say. Greasy and cold and a little muddy in a couple of places. Collingwood came very close to scoring within the first five or ten minutes, but I'm happy to say that we managed to keep them out of our 22 for pretty much the rest of the match. We scored both of ours before half-time and the second half was a bit stagnant. Collingwood won the fancy dress and were game when we rolled out the hypotist!

Anyway, I think that the evening raised in excess of £500 for Children In Need.

5. Time to tell the truth about ships sporting teams. I once belonged to the 2J4 darts team HMS Ark Royal. We almost always lost the darts but won the piss up that followed. A suggestion was put forward on more than one occasion that the two captains should throw for bull, whoever came closest won the match. We would then have more time for the piss up.
    Great idea

6. Ships teams and social teams are generally on the same level, and with ships being lean manned these days it is even harder to put out a competitive team.

I am currently on HMS Sutherland in the Gulf and we have got a squad of over 30 players. We played Bahrain RFC last Friday and won 32-5. We are, by far, the best ships rugby team that I have seen. In fact, we have enetered the Dubai 7's this year and will be playing the likes Toulouse Academy,CGS Old Boys, Price Waterhouse Cooper and Barrelhouse Yobs. We are enetered in the same section as the Navy Sharks and have the possibility of meeting them in the final if it all goes as planned.

Wish us luck

:lol:

7. Would like to wish you Good Luck, I can remember, (just about) some cracking matches at Dubai foloowed by some cracking aftermatch sessions.

:oops:

Notice the "British Army" also have a team in, and that you are listed as HMS Sunderland.

You'll have to keep us updated with your progress

8. There's a small group of us coming out to Dubai on the Wednesday before hand to watch the sevens.

Tho' with with the amount of alcohol that is being planned to be consumed, whether we actually watch the rugby could be another matter!!

LTP

9. [[/quote]

Would like to wish you Good Luck, I can remember, (just about) some cracking matches at Dubai foloowed by some cracking aftermatch sessions.

Notice the "British Army" also have a team in, and that you are listed as HMS Sunderland.

You'll have to keep us updated with your progress[/quote]

Did see that we are listed as HMS Sunderland on the fixtures, this has now been addressed and on the list of teams, the have us correctly as HMS Sutherland :p

10. Would like to wish you Good Luck, I can remember, (just about) some cracking matches at Dubai foloowed by some cracking aftermatch sessions.

You'll have to keep us updated with your progress[/quote]

Did see that we are listed as HMS Sunderland on the fixtures, this has now been addressed and on the list of teams, the have us correctly as HMS Sutherland :p[/quote]

Hi Dixie,

Yes I did wonder about that, glad to see you've got it sorted.

I trust the rest of Ships Co are being encouraged to provide support.

Good Luck

11. Unfortunately the ship is at sea so there is just a handful of us going. But they will be egging us on from afar