HMS Gannet SAR Flight Decommissioning Parade

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by clonmel, Feb 4, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today, HMS Gannet held their Decommissioning Parade. They ceased flying on 1 Jan with the introduction of the HM Coastguard S-92s across the airfield.

Many walkers, climbers, outdoors enthusiasts and indeed members of the general public owe their wellbeing to the crews of the venerable red & grey Sea Kings.

[​IMG]

My best wishes to all air-crew, ground-crew, and other support personnel who made this an excellent SAR unit, one of the busiest in the UK and with one of the most challenging areas to cover - everything from the Atlantic to Lochaber, and much of the Highlands and Islands.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Spent nearly two and a half enjoyable years at Prestwick in the mid-90's in what was only meant to be a 6 month draft. Only time I worked closely with the FAA, other than with FF/DD ship's flights, and was quite surprised how laid back & relaxed, yet totally professional, they were.
    Happy days...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gannet was the best two drafts I had in the Mob - 1991-2 & 1994-96. Got to see Scotland from the air and got paid for it too!

4. My best 2 drafts 2! Gannet, 819, then Gannet for last draft.